topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Malicious Software Removal Tool Ques.  (Read 3942 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Malicious Software Removal Tool Ques.
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:26 AM »

I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction to help find an answer to what's happening when I run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Each time I run it, about half way through it just stops.  And each time it stops when it reaches C:...\MountpointManagerRemoteDatabase
When I go to task manager it still shows it as running, until I click end task.  Then I receive the not responding message.
Last time I ran it, a month ago, the same thing happened.  It did run in safe mode though.  Just not in regular mode.  I am running it under admin.
I've googled a number of different ways, searched the microsoft site, etc and haven't located anything yet that is similar.
While I'm looking I thought I'd also post here.
Maybe someone has had a similar situation or knows of a site/forum.  Thanks!

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malicious Software Removal Tool Ques.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:31 AM »
If it is to do with system restore than you could disable system restore, reset and then enable it again. You might find that this deletes whatever the problem is with the folder.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:50 PM »
Are you using Outlook in conjunction with a Microsoft Exchange server, or do you show unattached shares when you open My Computer?

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:35 AM »
I disabled and and re-enabled restore, re-booted and tried again.  Same thing happened.

Are you using Outlook in conjunction with a Microsoft Exchange server, or do you show unattached shares when you open My Computer?
I am using Outlook but not Microsoft Exchange server.

Left this out before.  Running XP Pro with all SP2 patches. 
Thx.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Left this out before.  Running XP Pro with all SP2 patches.

I'd suggest putting SP3 on there as well. It cured a lot of odd-ball problems. You also want it on there for security reasons.

Luck  :Thmbsup:

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 01:01 PM »

I've been hesitant adding SP3.  Though it has been out for over a year I hear of problems attributed to using it over SP2.  Even a Dell tech I was working with late last summer didn't recommend upping to sp3.  Whether it was a personal opinion or there was something to back it up at the time who knows.  He wouldn't go into specifics.  So I went with that and the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.  I've been doing the custom updates and selecting everything except sp3.
I see a lot of others out there running sp2 only.  Maybe the lack of sp3 is what is causing the msrt problem.  Even tried tried RootKit Revealer and it hangs at System Information.  Others on the RKR forum have experienced the same thing and no reason has been found. Read where some of them recommend, and I ran the basic version of Prevx and it said I was clean.
I'll have to make a decision on sp3 and if I do, make sure it is when I have enough time to thoroughly test the programs I use to make sure there are no un-expected gotchas'.
Thx!