topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall SPECIAL INTRO PRICING $14.95  (Read 9972 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall SPECIAL INTRO PRICING $14.95
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 05:03 PM »
Funny - they list separate pricing for one to five licenses - but there's no discount anywhere.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 05:16 PM »
Have they dropped the free version then?

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 05:38 PM »
@mrainey
The prices at http://www.sunbelt-s...re.com/Kerio-Buy.cfm should reflect the
$14.95,no discount code needed.

@Carol Haynes
Not sure,at that price though i purchased a license,going to install in a minute,give it a test drive.It's difficult finding
a firewall these days as other threads have made the point.I'm going to bang on it a while.
...Here goes nothing (or everything :-\)

Ah,at the bottom of this page,the chart implies a free version is still availible
http://www.sunbelt-s...ftware.com/Kerio.cfm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 05:44 PM by tinyvillager »

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 05:55 PM »
This was on the Sunbelt blog today:     http://sunbeltblog.b...ition-completed.html

Today we announced the completion of our acquisition of the Kerio Personal Firewall and the Kerio Server Firewall.   Link to our corporate propaganda here.

Here are the key points:

We have acquired both the Kerio Personal Firewall and the Kerio Server Firewall. Both products will be re-branded on an interim basis as the “Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall” and “Sunbelt Kerio ServerFirewall”.
      Existing customers of the paid versions will receive full technical support through Sunbelt, with the additional enhancement of access to Sunbelt’s toll-free support.   Yup. Toll free support, right here in the US of A.
      We are also maintaining Kerio’s product support forums for both products, with full transition of the forums to Sunbelt servers expected by January.  Forum link here.
      We are continuing Kerio’s tradition of offering a free home version.
      We will be launching a new version of the Kerio Server Firewall in the first quarter of next year, at a competitive price point.
      We are dropping the price on both products.  And, we’re giving 25% off on the Kerio Personal Firewall product through the end of March. 

Personal Firewall will get Sunbelt’s “no brainer” pricing.

We’ve had this idea for years of what we call “No Brainer” pricing.  The idea is that it’s such a value that it makes the whole purchasing decision easy.  Plus, I do feel that most software is overpriced anyway.

Well, $19.95 is no-brainer pricing.  It’s the cost of a decent meal. So we have priced the Kerio Personal Firewall at Sunbelt’s No Brainer pricing of $19.95.  With that, you get one year of free support, upgrades and updates.  Subsequent annual subscriptions are currently $10.  It’s a ridiculously good deal.

This type of pricing upsets my accountants and the competition, but it’s good for the user and ultimately, it’s good for the company as it allows us to develop a large user base..   

But I went a step further.  I want as many people that are using the free version to convert to the paid version.  I also want our own users to own the product. And in order to get people to buy, you need two things:  a) a hot price and b) time urgency.  So I instructed our online shop team to put in place a 25% discount on the Kerio Personal Firewall until March 31.  That makes it $14.95.  It’s ridiculously cheap and I expect a lot of people will be buying up this firewall.

This $14.95 pricing works for people renewing their license purchased through Kerio as well.   

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 05:19 AM »
Not sure,at that price though i purchased a license,going to install in a minute,give it a test drive.It's difficult finding
a firewall these days as other threads have made the point.I'm going to bang on it a while.
...Here goes nothing (or everything :-\)

Ah,at the bottom of this page,the chart implies a free version is still availible
http://www.sunbelt-s...ftware.com/Kerio.cfm

Let us know how you get on.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 09:09 AM »
That's a good price from a good company. I don't know if everyone knows the story of Kerio, but they are the guys who were the original team behind the wildly successful Tiny Firewall back when it was tiny. Those programmers left Tiny & formed their own company (Kerio) and Tiny had to bring in a new team for their firewall & that's when the bloat began and the ease of use declined.

I've never used any of Sunbelt's stuff, but I hear good things about their products as well. The way Sunbelt is handling this acquisition should be a lesson to others who love to do corporate take-overs....are you listening Symantec??

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 04:50 AM »
Well things are going badly.First off i'm running this beside Boclean and F-prot.

During configuring packet filters i got a wicked BSOD.After manually rebooting,
i'm back at it again.It's resource hungry,runs two instances of it's gui :huh:
and kpfss, a third resource.I've tried to kill one of the gui instances and it
pops back up.These all run while minimized.I'm not liking it.I've also tried
Sunbelts CounterSpy,oh my dear lord,run away quickly.To it's credit it
found some weatherbug spyware crap that realplayer install.That aside
the thing wants to be to many different applications in one.I want a spyware
cleaner,not a partial firewall and registry tweaker,etc. all chugging along at
like 50 mb of ram, no thank.I really want to like Sunbelts products, they look
like a very dedicated group,i've visited their blogs,forums,etc.But their apps
are just schizophrenic.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 10:38 AM »
I didn't like CounterSpy, either. It's GUI was a little strange and their pricing structure is not the best, either if I remember correctly.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Regarding RAM usage, Sunbelt had this to say in CounterSpy news a while back:

"The most recent update of CounterSpy, although extremely effective has some attributes that are being addressed and fixed especially with regards to Active Protection taking up too much memory and/or spiking the CPU. An upcoming patch release will help but not resolve this issue completely.

CounterSpy 1.5 can take up a lot of memory because frankly it is "smarter" than previous versions. We have upgraded tens of thousands of users, and some issues are to be expected. We are diligently working to resolve these. The core of the problem is the Giant engine which we inherited from our previous relationship with Giant Software. We will be replacing it with a new engine with an estimated shipping date of late December."

http://www.counterspynews.com/?issue=15