topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Weird Window When Computer Boots Up  (Read 25325 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Weird Window When Computer Boots Up
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Don't you sleep????
Thanks for you info!!!!
I never had to do this before!!!

Actually I don't sleep very much.

moranacus, it sounds like you aren't very experienced with computers, or at least Windows. At least not yet!

Microsoft for years did not pursue users of pirated Microsoft software very vigorously. Apparently they finally realized that no amount of money is ever enough, and so they decided to go after pirated software in a big way. You see, though we all bitch about Microsoft a lot - and that includes me! - it is the most pirated software in the world, or so I have read. So while we all complain about it, apparently we all want it very much. Microsoft started a program called Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) which is really just an authentication of Windows for all users. In order to get Microsoft Updates or download software from their site, you must have their authentication software on your computer. Prior to WGA Windows still had to be activated, and it still does today, though Microsoft has recently started combining the WGA and Windows Activation programs.

Here are some more links that you really should read if you plan to keep on using Microsoft products:

How to Activate Windows XP    This goes through each step you need to take, including how to activate over the internet and/or by phone. THere are several phone numbers but you should use the one that you get from your computer. This article tells you how.

What is Microsoft Product Activation?    This is an article on Microsoft's Resources site. Explains the reasons for activation and has links to FAQs.

Genuine Microsoft Software    This is Microsoft's web site that explains what WGA is and how and why they use it. (Mostly an attempt to justify what I feel is their intrusive behavior.)

Genuine Microsoft Software Frequently Asked Questions     Again, this is stuff you should learn, but I wouldn't get too far into it until after you use the first link here to get activated.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 11:47 AM »
I'll 2nd that (wr975), No machine ever leaves our shop without activation and all security updates installed. Make Them Fix It.

It takes all of 3 sec to verify activation, that should not have left the shop.

Both of you are most likely correct, however I am a fatalist and pretty much expect such sloppy service! I always prefer to know how to do it myself.  :)

Jim

moranacus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 12:44 PM »
I talked to the tech that reinstalled WINDOWS XP and he told me to try to do SYSTEM RESTORE back about a week but I wasn't able to go back farther than June 4 and I already had the problem
then. I also getting a window on the bottom right of my computer that says:
"THIS COPY OF WINDOWS IS NOT ACTIVATED" .
My computer has a 45 day warranty and the tech told me that he's going to have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall WINDOWS XP again.
He also told me not to use SuperAntiSpyware anymore because it wasn't doing it's job because I got a problem and to only use AVAST. He also said to keep using ADWARE PROFESSIONAL and to do manual updates and scans once a week.
He also said to keep using ADWARE PROFESSIONAL and to do manual updates and scans once a week.
I'm also not going to shut off the computer and I'm either going to put it in SLEEP or HIBERNATE MODE.
I don't want to turn off the computer and turn it on later and have WINDOWS XP not be able to load at all like the last time.

moranacus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I have one other question.
Is it safe to do anything like pay bills online or make purchases at EBAY with the WINDOWS NOT ACTIVATED PROBLEM????

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 01:11 PM »
First of all, SuperAntiSpyware is fine. And I assume you mean Adaware Pro, not Adware? Adaware was OK in its day... Unfortunately its day passed a few years ago. I don't see how SuperAntispyware could have had anything to do with this, though I would recommend stopping all anti-spyware and anti-virus active scanners while activating. None of your anti-malware could have been running - or even installed - when this guy reinstalled Windows.

Did he reinstall it with your original Windows disk? If not then HE must activate XP for you, as there is no way for you to know the key for his license. And I have to presume that he is using a volume license. If you call Microsoft to tell them you cannot activate and then tell them the tech who installed it for you, they may be interested if it turns out he is installing pirated copies of Windows.

This guy sounds like a real winner. Is he associated with any larger service? Geek Squad or anything?

Jim

moranacus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 01:14 PM »
No, the program is called ADWARE PROFESSIONAL.

moranacus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 02:07 PM »
What is the best thing to do then????
Should I buy a new copy of Windows XP
then have the TECH install that????
My computer is over 7 years old and
I no longer have the original WINDOWS XP CD
that came with the computer.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 10:32 PM »
No, the program is called ADWARE PROFESSIONAL.

Sorry - I'm not usually contrary with anyone so stubborn, but I think you should check again. And if you insist on yelling...  then KOJA!

Jim

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 01:16 AM »
>What is the best thing to do then????

J-Mac told you many times what to do. I told you what to do. This is the last time I write in this thread:  :-\

As paying customer you shouldn't mess around with system restore and stuff. You paid for an working system, demand it. If your tech guy can't do remote desktop sessions and fix this minor problem remotely, this guy sounds like a loser and you should really really find another person for your PC troubles. Installing Windows XP all over again is no solution to every problem.

IF your tech guy is willing to DEMAND MONEY (and quite much) for installing a PIRATED Windows XP, he should accept the consequences... like you, the customer, following the "Bought a PC with no genuine installation of Windows" steps if Activation/Windows Genuine Advantage fails.

moranacus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 01:34 AM »
Sorry everyone but this is getting me upset!!!!
I had a tech that did lots of stuff for my computer with no problem then
WINDOWS XP got corrupted (the first time/not this one). He installed
a copy of WINDOWS PROFESSIONAL on top of WINDOWS HOME.
I didn't see any problem at first and didn't know he did this until WINDOWS shutdown
and the other tech saw it.
The new tech has a different copy of the WINDOWS versions and
installs one of them that the customer needs if they no longer have the original CD. He then goes to Microsoft and activates it. I guess Microsoft caught this eventually in one of the updates.
I don't see a problem with me buying a new copy of WINDOWS XP and installing that
so that it would be a truly valid copy of WINDOWS.
I have a 45 day warranty on the repair that was done and it won't cost me anything
to fix this.
I just want someone to clarify that this would work.
I don't really want to call Microsoft and pay them $59 to answer my question.
SORRY AGAIN EVERYONE!!!!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 07:24 AM »
OK. Let's see if we can help you get this fixed.

If the only problem is activation, then purchasing a new full copy of WindowsXP will solve that problem.

If you lost your original disks - and have no way of getting a replacement CD for the Home Edition you paid for when you bought your PC - then buying a new copy will be your only option.

I'm not happy that the tech didn't warn you about what would happen if you couldn't supply him/her with your original software (i.e. that you'd need to buy a new copy) - but that's the way it goes. (Also a good reason to put your disks someplace where you can find them.)

So to recap - buying and installing a new copy of Windows XP will solve your activation problem.

I also think your tech should do the reinstall for free.

Especially since you've already been billed for the service. And also because any tech worthy of the name already knew you wouldn't be able to legally activate the copy he put on your machine.

If there's anything else you need clarified, just post it here. Or send me a personal message. I know how frustrating it can be having a machine down when you're trying to go online and pay bills with it.

:Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 09:47 AM »
I'll 2nd that (wr975), No machine ever leaves our shop without activation and all security updates installed. Make Them Fix It.

It takes all of 3 sec to verify activation, that should not have left the shop.

Both of you are most likely correct, however I am a fatalist and pretty much expect such sloppy service! I always prefer to know how to do it myself.  :)

Jim
Me too, that's how I got to where I'm at now. But the guy's story sounded (and later proves to be) a incorrect media licensing issue. Which the "Tech" should have known better and never created. So foisting an angry consumer on them to further their (Um...) education seemed the more "profitable" route (did I mention I have a mean streak?) in the long run.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Me too, that's how I got to where I'm at now. But the guy's story sounded (and later proves to be) a incorrect media licensing issue. Which the "Tech" should have known better and never created. So foisting an angry consumer on them to further their (Um...) education seemed the more "profitable" route (did I mention I have a mean streak?) in the long run.

>:D I like your mean streak SJ!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

But then again, where would I be without disgruntled chain-store tech service customers? I've gotten quite a bit of business around where I live thanks to them screwing up royally on business customers.

(Personally, I hope they never learn. ;) )

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 01:27 PM »
OK. Let's see if we can help you get this fixed.

If the only problem is activation, then purchasing a new full copy of WindowsXP will solve that problem.

If you lost your original disks - and have no way of getting a replacement CD for the Home Edition you paid for when you bought your PC - then buying a new copy will be your only option.

I'm not happy that the tech didn't warn you about what would happen if you couldn't supply him/her with your original software (i.e. that you'd need to buy a new copy) - but that's the way it goes. (Also a good reason to put your disks someplace where you can find them.)

So to recap - buying and installing a new copy of Windows XP will solve your activation problem.

I also think your tech should do the reinstall for free.

Especially since you've already been billed for the service. And also because any tech worthy of the name already knew you wouldn't be able to legally activate the copy he put on your machine.

If there's anything else you need clarified, just post it here. Or send me a personal message. I know how frustrating it can be having a machine down when you're trying to go online and pay bills with it.

:Thmbsup:

I think moranacus should just purchase an inexpensive new computer instead.

Consider that he just spent $243 on a SEVEN year old computer and will now probably have to spend another $150+ for a new XP disk IF he can find one (I only see System Builder versions being sold lately).

IMO it makes no sense to sink another dime into his current machine.

Jim

moranacus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I actually know where the original WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION CD is.
Its in a box in storage. How hard will it be for me to wipe my hard drive
and install this myself????
I'm worried that I would mess something up.
Also, if I do this am I going to need my drivers for my sound card,video
card and mother board???? They are different from when I first got the computer.
I didn't this need when the tech reinstalled it.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Get the CD you have and take it and the machine back to the tech and have him set it up for you using that CD.  The key on the certificate attached to the machine should work when that CD is used, and the tech should be able to locate any drivers that are not on the CD

You already paid this tech good money and he gave you back problems - he should do this for you with no additional charge.

moranacus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 03:04 PM »
I have the WINDOWS XP CD and it was in a sealed pack but when I opened it there was a message that says "THE CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY LABEL HAS BEEN REMOVED BY YOUR PC MANUFACTURER AND ATTACHED TO YOU PC".
Well, I have got a new case for my computer since then and I don't see that label anywhere.
Does that mean I can't use it????

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 04:36 PM »
I have the WINDOWS XP CD and it was in a sealed pack but when I opened it there was a message that says "THE CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY LABEL HAS BEEN REMOVED BY YOUR PC MANUFACTURER AND ATTACHED TO YOU PC".
Well, I have got a new case for my computer since then and I don't see that label anywhere.
Does that mean I can't use it????

Sorry to say, but it all depends...

Here's the deal.

If the installation program asks for the product key (which is usually printed on the certificate of authenticity) you'll be out of luck and not able to install unless you have it written down somewhere - or there's a separate card, or a sticker inside the CD case that has a copy of that information.

However, if the CD has been setup by the manufacturer as a "Restoration Disk" (which usually says something like "product recovery CD" and does not look like a an over-the counter Microsoft product) then there's a very good chance you won't need to enter a product key - nor will you need to "activate" once it's been installed. Microsoft did allow certain manufacturers to "preauthorize and pre-activate" their product recovery disks. So if you have one of these, all you'll probably need to do is boot from it and tell it to reinstall WIndows.

Unfortunately, if you have replaced a bunch of hardware, you'll still need to get the appropriate drivers for anything that didn't come with your machine. Neither a generic Windows CD nor the recovery CD will have working drivers for everything you've since installed on your machine. Expect to do some web browsing to download everything you'll need.

One other thing, which I'll bring to your attention since I've run into this issue in the past. If you had your motherboard replaced by anyone other than the original manufacturer, you can forget about using their OEM recovery CD. Those CDs are almost always keyed to look for the original manufacturer's mobos, and will not work if they can't find one.

Examples:

Case 1: You have an old Dell and you replaced everything except the original motherboard. (The Dell recovery disk should work.)

Case 2:  You have an old Dell and you replaced nothing but the Dell motherboard with a board from a different manufacturer. (The Dell recovery disk will not work.)

Also bear in mind that once you get your copy of Windows reinstalled, you'll still need to download and install all the updates and service packs which have been released since your CD was mastered. Windows Update Service will handle that part for you, but the total download size (especially if it includes service packs) will be huge. So you'll need at least a DSL or cable connection to the Internet for it to be  practical. Don't even try it on 56K dial-up unless you can afford to give it a few days to get all the downloads.

Hope this helped. :)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:40 PM by 40hz »

moranacus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Thanks for the help!!!!
It's greatly appreciated!!!!