ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Weird Window When Computer Boots Up

<< < (5/9) > >>

moranacus:
When I try to use Activate Windows nothing happens.
When I checked if it was valid at the Microsoft site I get the
following message:
Windows Activation Required.
Windows must be activated in order to determine if the Windows product key installed on this computer is genuine.

J-Mac:
You went to this site as advised above?  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916247

Jim

wr975:
> I just paid $243 on May 11 to have my hard drive wiped and Windows XP reinstalled and I already have a problem.

There could be two things.

This tech guy installed a VLK version of Windows. Microsoft blacklisted some widespread VLK keys recently, so there...

Or you got some malware.

Anyway, this person who cleaned and installed Windows XP for you, messed up. Call this person and demand to have these issues fixed, for no cost. This can be done by remote desktop software and probably takes few minutes only. A not working Windows XP version or leaving someone with administration rights + no protection against malware isn't worth $243 at all.

J-Mac:
> I just paid $243 on May 11 to have my hard drive wiped and Windows XP reinstalled and I already have a problem.

There could be two things.

This tech guy installed a VLK version of Windows. Microsoft blacklisted some widespread VLK keys recently, so there...

Or you got some malware.

Anyway, this person who cleaned and installed Windows XP for you, messed up. Call this person and demand to have these issues fixed, for no cost. This can be done by remote desktop software and probably takes few minutes only. A not working Windows XP version or leaving someone with administration rights + no protection against malware isn't worth $243 at all.
-wr975 (June 06, 2009, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course it is possible that the tech reinstalled XP from moranacus's own disk. If the hard drive was wiped it is possible that XP is seeing this as "changed hardware" or thinks it may have been installed on a different computer. If the dialog isn't showing the right text in it the tech might not have noticed it. Or the dialog may not have started popping until 30 days after the reinstallation.

Don't want to hang the tech just yet!

Jim

Stoic Joker:
I'll 2nd that (wr975), No machine ever leaves our shop without activation and all security updates installed. Make Them Fix It.

It takes all of 3 sec to verify activation, that should not have left the shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version