ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

NoteZilla

<< < (10/11) > >>

J-Mac:
Dormouse,

Just a couple weeks ago I posted something in a thread about Stickies by Tom Revell and mentioned why I won't upgrade Notezilla. Conceptworld posted back that they will shortly be releasing an update that will eliminate use of the cloud and re-allow using your network for sending notes to others. Don’t know how serious they are but here's a link to their post:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=35092.msg329555#msg329555

Jim

conceptworld:

Thanks Jim & Dormouse,

Yes, we will be adding the local network feature. When we commit it in public, we surely add it. Just that it sometimes get delayed.

Dormouse, weeks after we announced Notezilla 8, we made the cloud subscription free for 1 whole year. So when you upgrade to the new version, for 1-year you can sync sticky notes with the cloud & access them from phone without paying anything.

You may want to again review the new features added in the Notezilla 8 - http://www.conceptworld.com/Notezilla/WhatsNew

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Dormouse:
Thanks to both of you.

In practice, the network feature reinstatement does not affect me as I have never used it. I'm quite happy using Dropbox or a network drive for that, and I assume that would still work in v8.

And I do have a strong preference for using that system for any synchronising with Android or iOS devices. Partly because it costs me nothing extra, and partly because it is under my control. Anything done through a Conceptworld server depends on Conceptworld continuing to keep it up, and while it might be free in the 1st year, the costs thereafter are substantial. I would probably pay for an Android app that synchronised with Dropbox, but I'm not sure how much use I would actually make of it in practice; I'm reasonably happy with what I have there already.

I have had a look at the new features (and the removed old features) in v8, and I don't think that any of them affect me much. The big new feature was the web sync, which I won't use which is why it is not worth my while upgrading.

conceptworld:

Here it is! We just released a new build of Notezilla 8 that will let you send sticky notes instantly to another computer across local network (LAN). This feature does not depend on the Notezilla.Net cloud service.

You can download latest Notezilla 8 from here: http://www.conceptworld.com/Notezilla
Short video tutorial about how it works is here: http://youtu.be/pFYVUVqJUT8

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Dormouse:
I've been having a look at the new features. In theory, a program that can be used on all devices is what I want - but the features here just don't meet my needs.

I would want to see:-

Local storage and use rather than having to rely on an internet connection (synchronising when possible);
Strong security and privacy measures;
An option to make notes local rather than having everything on the net;
The ability to use the notes as sticky notes on phones/tablets (as Android/iOS apps already do);
A much lower annual subscription.

I can see that this may not be financially viable given the likely market - but the competition is either much cheaper or offers many more non-sticky note functions.

When I started thinking more about cross-platform apps I found that Evernote had a sticky note feature that I'd not come across previously. Sticky notes on desktop (much simpler and without the multiple memoboards that I really like, but still, - and I can operate a slightly clunkier system moving notes to and from other noteboards to achieve a similar effect if I want), automatically synchronising with phones/tablets and all free. And I already use Evernote, and it does a lot of other things. Certainly not as good as a sticky note app, but is better as a web app and looks good enough for the sticky notes. So that is what I will be using from hereon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version