ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where did your DC user I.D come from?

<< < (11/14) > >>

40hz:
turns out he was a shape shifting, gender changing god.
-Loki15 (June 29, 2009, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not to mention a backstabbing coward - not really the most flattering god from Norse mythology :P
-f0dder (June 29, 2009, 09:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe not flattering. But readily recognized - and often respected in much the way you would a "worthy adversary."

Loki's role as a tempter, prankster, and manipulator is absolutely crucial in the framework of most mythologies.

There's always someone that needs to go around dissing the gods and generally screwing up the divine plan for things. How else could you account for why so many things always seem to go wrong in the world? Good thing we get somebody like Loki to blame when bad things happen. Because if we didn't, we'd have to blame Odin for either being incompetent or malicious.

And supreme deities, like Odin, usually didn't take too kindly to people feeling that way about them. :'(

Similar mythic entities can be found in most cultures. Take a look at the North American Indian's Coyote, the Aztec Huehuecoyotl, the Hindu Krishna (or even a certain well known serpent) to see the shape-shifting Trickster and Adversary in yet another of his/her/its many manifestations.

Lots more examples here if you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster_god#Tricksters_in_various_cultures

Loki15:
So my role on DC is to be blamed for anything bad that happens? Hmm I knew I had a meaning in life :P

bassclarinetl2:
OK, here's mine.

I played Bass Clarinet in my high school marching band.  L2 was the designator for my position in the "drill" (all the formations on the field) my senior year.

My other ID (The one for the really important stuff wwitthoff1  stems from the old days of *cough* AOL *cough* w is for my first name william my middle name is witthoff and since AOL wanted screen names to have a number in them (go figure) 1 was my choice.

OldElmerFudd:
At the point when I finally broke down and started using credit cards (and later, debit cards), signing my name seemed superfluous. It finally occurred to me the readers couldn't distinguish my name from anything else. I began signing Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny, depending on my mood.

I use credit cards less than a dozen times a year, these days. Debit cards are another story, so Elmer Fudd is the norm. As I've gotten older, I morphed that to OldElmerFudd. It's one of my favorite nyms/user I.D.'s.

The avatar is one of my best friends. :Thmbsup:

MerleOne:
Mine comes from the work of Roger Zelazny, the second Amber series, where the main character, some kind of magical computer genius is called.... Merle.  Since it's used fairly often on forum, websites, etc., I have added 1 or one.  In French, it is also pronounced as Merlin, the well known wizard...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version