topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Where did your DC user I.D come from?  (Read 49608 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where did your DC user I.D come from?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 08:28 PM »
Sign me up for the most cliche way of getting nicknames: Fake Name Generator  :P (I actually thought I'd used Fantasy Name Generator but on that day I misclicked on the speed dial and was too lazy to switch tabs and so I settled for Paul Keith)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 08:30 PM »
I made mine up back when I was 7 (nearly 10 years ago now) when I had to get a kids-AOL account (knowing my dad's password defeated that, but, moving on..)

I have always been big into racing games and I crash a LOT in them (well, less now, but back then :D) and decided to base my Username on that. The AOL Usernames "wrecked", "wreckedcar" and "wreckedcars" was taken - so I decided to get creative and make "wreckedcarzz"; the "wrecked" obviously meaning crashed, "car" just explaining that it was a car crash, and the two "zz" symbolize the two crashed and mushed up cars within this ideal scenario.

And "wreckedcarzz" was born :)

Other usernames I have/used:
Spoiler
Alternatively, over the years with AOL and the various times I tinkered with it, I also ended up with some other usernames based off this one:

wreckedcarzzz (no longer active)
wreckedcarzzzz
wreckedcarzzzzz
WreckedGTACarzz (from my GTA3-crazy phase)

Also, at OMGPOP.com you can find me under the name BabyTiger, and at various sites now I go by the name Midnight Wolf (also my Xfire nickname); both derived from my fursona (nsfw)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Maybe each person should post 2 answers, one true, and one made up for entertainment purposes.

As for mine..

Back in the 1940s i worked in Scotland Yard and was a hotshot detective, best in the department.  Nicknamed "mouser" for my ability to always catch my prey (like a cat catch's mice), the name stuck and soon became a more general slang term for detectives.  To this day the London criminal underground keeps a careful eye on my international travels and if i should ever try to head back to England i have been told i wouldn't survive a week.  On the plus side, if you ever get pulled over by a police officer in Brighton who wants to give you a ticket, just tell them that Captain Mouser said to let you go, and Jacks your uncle.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 10:46 PM »
My real name is April. For whatever reason people have always felt the need to shorten this to something that sounded rather insulting and made me the victim of a lot of malicious teasing when I was a kid. (ape)

When I was 14, a friend of mine, not wanting to be insulting, decided to be a little different, changed the vowel sound, and started calling me App, instead. And it caught on and just stuck.

The 103 was added because I was using WinMX and all usernames have to end in a 3 digit number and I wasn't feeling especially creative that day. Those that know me well enough, know what it means.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Kind of a long story...

Back in my well-spent youth up in Boston, I was the bass player in an "all-originals" rock band. At the time, I was big on experimenting with intonation and psycho acoustics as a hobby. As a result, I'd often try come up with various ways to inexpensively improve our overall sound since we couldn't afford much in the way of equipment. One big break came when I accidentally discovered something about our Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater PA system.

One day before rehearsal, I noticed that a tape of baroque music I was playing though the PA system sounded remarkably better than anything else I had ever heard going through it - including our band. During a break, I decided to play along with the tape and noticed I had to slightly detune my bass to match the other instruments. When I checked it against a tuner, I discovered that my low E-string was now tuned to 40Hz as opposed to the standard 41.2Hz for that note under A=440 tuning.

Thinking I might be onto something, I got the rest of the band to match my slightly lowered tuning, and the result was an significant improvement in sound for the entire band.

We used our new tuning the next time we played out at a club, and the reaction amazed us. Everybody was telling us how fantastic we sounded. And some fellow musicians even complimented us on our "new" sound system. After that, we always used 40Hz as our reference standard.

Inside the group, we always called each other by our first initials. No real reason for it. It was just a 'band thing.' Since my first name is Ed, I should have been called "E." But that moniker had already been bestowed on Ellen - our drummer's devastatingly intelligent and beautiful girlfriend. So I became "Low-E" in order not to screw up the tradition.

After my accidental discovery, however, our lead singer rechristened me "40Hz" in honor of our new low E, and the name stuck.

Now aren't you glad you asked? ;D

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 11:08 PM by 40hz »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 12:01 AM »
Mine was chosen for me :P

The avatar is taken from a photo of the bark of a local eucalypt species that I particularly enjoy, I'm not sure why. But when I thought about my design process I realised that it could be described as scribbling.

I remember at university we critiqued a design methodology that was remarkably similar, and I find it a relaxing method of letting the project evolve.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 12:06 AM »
**AWESOME**THREAD**
 :D

My first name is Jaime. When I worked at WAL-MART, such a long time ago, there were 2 others Jaimes that worked there. Much confusion.
I was James for a while. New guy James works with us. Confusion follows.
My name badge was washed with laundry once, ES fell from JAM, so I became JAM - i LOVED that name!
One of my regular customers would take his little girl to buy stickers when she did good in school. One day she stuck a blue dot sticker on my badge, the same color ANNND size as JAM.
So, Jaime > James > JAM > JAM-O > JAMMO > JAMJAMMO

This is perhaps the LAST site I use my old screen-name for. I now use 'OrganizedFellow' for all social sites, email, domains, logins, etc.
I'm an adult living happily with the gift that is ADD/ADHD. Seeing and using the name OrganizedFellow helps me stay focused and shtuff :)
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 12:44 AM »
I am honestly not sure where this came from. I just picked letters using the randomization formula from mouser's prize picker for the monthly giveaways. This is the result!

I think you're joshing!

Josh, I agree with Darwin.  I, too, think you are..... kidding! ;)  

Per Mouser...
Maybe each person should post 2 answers, one true, and one made up for entertainment purposes.

Ok..., but first I have to check it with the same agency or the agencies that is/are responsible for our supermandibularambital's furtive existance.  I have no desire to exert undue pressure upon subjacent digits, especially when possessed by souls of a lupine bent!!

If I get the thumbs-up rather than the thumb-screws, I will cadillac back with the dope.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:17 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 01:42 AM »
Mine speaks for itself!

Shook

• Joined in 2008
  • ↑ DANISH
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 07:03 AM »
Y'see, when people see my username, the first thing that often springs to their mind is "past tense of shake". But boy, is that wrong! So now i will share my incredibly epic story of how i got this here username... Which, conveniently, has stuck for several years, occasionally being replaced by names with more or less similar pronunciation, such as "Shewk", "Schewk", "Scheouwk" and so on. Not in any forums, though, where I'm consistently known as Shook. And while it does share the initial letter with my first name, it has nothing to do with it. Now, on to the story...

I was playing a game called Crusaders of Space: Open Range, which is a Space Invaders-style game with much better graphics. In this game, whenever you had shot down a new type of enemy ship, you would get some information about the ship type, such as speed, armor and firepower. You also got the name of the ship, which more often than not included a nickname as well. So, i had just shot down a tough, blocky ship (the ship itself is irrelevant, really), and when i went to look at the ships info, i saw nothing less than a miracle written down in text... "Shook", the ship was called. Ever since i saw that, I've used that name consistently, not even knowing that it was the past tense of "shake" until much later. Also, the game is strictly singleplayer, so I've not taken the nickname from anybody. =P

And there you have it, the wonderful story of how i got the name "Shook".

merkin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Got my id when I used to frquent bulletin boards and someone was called a merkin.  Didn't know what it was so looked it up and found it so funny I used it ever since.

If you didn't know, a merkin is a crotch wig.

When I can't use merkin because it's alreay in use I use crotchwig.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Back in the 1940s i worked in Scotland Yard and was a hotshot detective, best in the department.  Nicknamed "mouser" for my ability to always catch my prey (like a cat catch's mice)

mouser, you should look at T.S. Eliot's book of poems "Old Possums Book of Practical Cats," and check out "Macavity"  :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 09:54 AM »
My name badge was washed with laundry once, ES fell from JAM, so I became JAM

I have a thick winter T-shirt that had "Winter Sports" written across it.  Only some of the letters fell off, and now it reads "Win e  S o ts."  I sort of wondered it that was a Freudian comment.
<sigh>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:56 AM by rjbull »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 10:49 AM »
@40hz: I figured it had to do with bass playing, but that's a really cool story.  :Thmbsup:

I think I'm going to de-tune my trusty Fender tonight just to see what happens, though I wonder how my latest fuzz pedal design is going to take it. :onfire:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Ok..., but first I have to check it with the same agency that is responsible for our supermandibularambital's furtive existance.  I have no desire to exert undue pressure upon subjacent digits, especially when possessed by souls of a lupine bent!!

If I get the thumbs-up rather than the thumb-screws, I will cadillac back with the dope.

What The :) Did He Just Say...?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 02:02 PM »
wraith808 I've had for a while- back from long nights of playing doom and it's ilk.  The wraith references what my friends call my uncanny ability to camp without camping.  I called it being in the right place at the right time.  8)  The 808 is a reference to our Clan, the 808Klan, which itself comes from the musical background of the founder, in reference to the Roland TR-808.

I also use hachibushu, which I created from the kanji characters hachi (eight) and bushu (warrior spirit), not knowing that there was an actual basis for the name.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 02:28 PM »

Once an astronomer mistook a (dead pixel) dot on the computer screen to be a planet passing in front of Rigel...it became known as the rg dot

Spoiler
Yes, I failed Comedy 101

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 02:38 PM »
Humoring mouser's two story request, here's an out and out lie:
It's the last 4 characters of my first name IRL.

Now for the truth.

True story: I actually coined my nick a couple of decades back in Japan. On a misty morning on the slopes of Mt. Fujimoto, to be exact. I would fight rogue ninjas back then out of sheer boredom (it was 28 kbps Internet tops on a good day then, Pam_Anderson_01_thumb.jpg was stuck at 12% for-ever - all I saw for days was her FACE - , just to give you an idea how bad things could get.)

So I'm messing with these two Ninjas just for amusement, letting them think they stand a chance and they're tiring out fast and I can just see that they would love to bolt but they can't (ninja pride issues). Feeling sorry for them (and a little bored now, TBH) I decide to end their misery.

Just then one of them decides to speak to the other "This guy's goo..." *whoosh* I take his head off with my blade a little too quick for the other nin-nin to register. And I'm transfixed - hypnotized by the random patterns made by the early morning light as it collides with the crimson spray bursting skyward. I forget everything around me and it seems like minutes but I know it's a split second. I'm shaken out of my reverie by a hoarse, defeated voice replying to the deceased "No Sh...!" *SLASHHHHH*

I have no idea what these guys were saying to each other (secret Ninja slang, most likely). *click* Hey! :D It's IE on my shiny new 8048, the net's finally working! <bg> - "Welcome to hotmail, the world's leading email provider! - please choose a User ID" So I type in "no sh" (error: spaces not allowed) coz let's face it, "thisguysgoo" just sounds lame.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2009, 03:02 PM »
Ok..., but first I have to check it with the same agency or the agencies that is/are responsible for our supermandibularambital's furtive existance.  I have no desire to exert undue pressure upon subjacent digits, especially when possessed by souls of a lupine bent!!

What The :) Did He Just Say...?

If we told you, we'd have to... nevermind!  Someone is coming, but tell Mouser the agency knows about him and the TextDino (the one with the cypher key).  Gotta run!  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:18 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 03:26 PM »
Advance Notice: 40hz is going off on another one of his OT rambles. You have been warned!

jimcarreydurrrrrpk9.gif

@40hz: I figured it had to do with bass playing, but that's a really cool story.  :Thmbsup:

I think I'm going to de-tune my trusty Fender tonight just to see what happens, though I wonder how my latest fuzz pedal design is going to take it. :onfire:

@Edvard - Might be worth a try, but I think a lot of it will depend on what you're putting your Fender through. I'm sure there was some resonance factor (either mechanical or electrical) involved, so I'm guessing that by lowering our tuning we hit a sweet spot somewhere in the system.

In a way, I'm not surprised. Especially now that a lot of Metal bands are tuning down whole steps to find that true "death metal" sound. Of course, the growing popularity of the 7-string in Metal might do away with that practice eventually. (Bet the ghost of George Van Eps is smiling about it too!)

If it doesn't help, try tuning up a bit. My GF's Fender Lead 75 loves it when she tunes her Strats a few cents up from 440. Gotta love tubes!!!

FYI: Our VOTT system was loaded with JBL extended-range 15" bass speakers. Couple that with custom passive crossovers and those HUGE cabinets and it made for what would today be considered a very unusual package - especially now that 4X10's and 8X10's have replaced the ported 1 & 2X15's as the default bass cabinet configuration.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:30 PM by 40hz »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 05:31 PM »
tomos already discovered the origin a while ago, and it should be pretty clear for the rest. In any case...

Not that I'm his reincarnation, back in this plane of the existence to terrorize DC, but back in the day I couldn't beat this guy in the game whatever I did, so its image and name kinda stuck on my head. Then, after seeing how my usual screen name, an acronym that sounded way too cool in my teen years, was used by everyone and their dog, I was forced to choose another one, and so I came to be named "Lashiec". I even like the name.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I also revelaed my nick origin long time ago, along with the meaning of my avatar, if you're interested, you can read it again here.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 03:31 PM »
"Welcome to hotmail, the world's leading email provider! - please choose a User ID" So I type in "no sh" (error: spaces not allowed) coz let's face it, "thisguysgoo" just sounds lame.

;D ;D
Tom

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 09:46 PM »
Mine comes from a old mythology god, I was once upon a time told he was a badass god, turns out he was a shape shifting, gender changing god.  Basically an it among the gods :P, I realized I should haveve really done research before choosing the name.  The 15 was always one of my favorite numbers.
R.I.P Terry Winstel, you were a musician, a hero, and a well loved man.  But above all, you were my dad. Forever in my heart 1953-2009.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 09:51 PM »
turns out he was a shape shifting, gender changing god.
Not to mention a backstabbing coward - not really the most flattering god from Norse mythology :P
- carpe noctem