ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where did your DC user I.D come from?

<< < (9/14) > >>

wraith808:
wraith808 I've had for a while- back from long nights of playing doom and it's ilk.  The wraith references what my friends call my uncanny ability to camp without camping.  I called it being in the right place at the right time.  8)  The 808 is a reference to our Clan, the 808Klan, which itself comes from the musical background of the founder, in reference to the Roland TR-808.

I also use hachibushu, which I created from the kanji characters hachi (eight) and bushu (warrior spirit), not knowing that there was an actual basis for the name.

rgdot:
Maybe each person should post 2 answers, one true, and one made up for entertainment purposes.
-mouser (June 03, 2009, 09:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Once an astronomer mistook a (dead pixel) dot on the computer screen to be a planet passing in front of Rigel...it became known as the rg dot

SpoilerYes, I failed Comedy 101

nosh:
Humoring mouser's two story request, here's an out and out lie:
It's the last 4 characters of my first name IRL.

Now for the truth.

True story: I actually coined my nick a couple of decades back in Japan. On a misty morning on the slopes of Mt. Fujimoto, to be exact. I would fight rogue ninjas back then out of sheer boredom (it was 28 kbps Internet tops on a good day then, Pam_Anderson_01_thumb.jpg was stuck at 12% for-ever - all I saw for days was her FACE - , just to give you an idea how bad things could get.)

So I'm messing with these two Ninjas just for amusement, letting them think they stand a chance and they're tiring out fast and I can just see that they would love to bolt but they can't (ninja pride issues). Feeling sorry for them (and a little bored now, TBH) I decide to end their misery.

Just then one of them decides to speak to the other "This guy's goo..." *whoosh* I take his head off with my blade a little too quick for the other nin-nin to register. And I'm transfixed - hypnotized by the random patterns made by the early morning light as it collides with the crimson spray bursting skyward. I forget everything around me and it seems like minutes but I know it's a split second. I'm shaken out of my reverie by a hoarse, defeated voice replying to the deceased "No Sh...!" *SLASHHHHH*

I have no idea what these guys were saying to each other (secret Ninja slang, most likely). *click* Hey! :D It's IE on my shiny new 8048, the net's finally working! <bg> - "Welcome to hotmail, the world's leading email provider! - please choose a User ID" So I type in "no sh" (error: spaces not allowed) coz let's face it, "thisguysgoo" just sounds lame.

CodeTRUCKER:
Ok..., but first I have to check it with the same agency or the agencies that is/are responsible for our supermandibularambital's furtive existance.  I have no desire to exert undue pressure upon subjacent digits, especially when possessed by souls of a lupine bent!!

If I get the thumbs-up rather than the thumb-screws, I will cadillac back with the dope. -CodeTRUCKER (June 04, 2009, 12:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

What The :) Did He Just Say...?
-Stoic Joker (June 04, 2009, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

If we told you, we'd have to... nevermind!  Someone is coming, but tell Mouser the agency knows about him and the TextDino (the one with the cypher key).  Gotta run!  

40hz:
Advance Notice: 40hz is going off on another one of his OT rambles. You have been warned!

@40hz: I figured it had to do with bass playing, but that's a really cool story.  :Thmbsup:

I think I'm going to de-tune my trusty Fender tonight just to see what happens, though I wonder how my latest fuzz pedal design is going to take it. :onfire:
-Edvard (June 04, 2009, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Edvard - Might be worth a try, but I think a lot of it will depend on what you're putting your Fender through. I'm sure there was some resonance factor (either mechanical or electrical) involved, so I'm guessing that by lowering our tuning we hit a sweet spot somewhere in the system.

In a way, I'm not surprised. Especially now that a lot of Metal bands are tuning down whole steps to find that true "death metal" sound. Of course, the growing popularity of the 7-string in Metal might do away with that practice eventually. (Bet the ghost of George Van Eps is smiling about it too!)

If it doesn't help, try tuning up a bit. My GF's Fender Lead 75 loves it when she tunes her Strats a few cents up from 440. Gotta love tubes!!!

FYI: Our VOTT system was loaded with JBL extended-range 15" bass speakers. Couple that with custom passive crossovers and those HUGE cabinets and it made for what would today be considered a very unusual package - especially now that 4X10's and 8X10's have replaced the ported 1 & 2X15's as the default bass cabinet configuration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version