ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where did your DC user I.D come from?

<< < (3/14) > >>

f0dder:
Back in the days of 10BASE-2 (aka BNC) networking, I played a lot of cooperative doom with a buddy of mine. When playing the Memento Mori levels for doom2 on Ultra Violence, there was a lot of dying involved, and a lot of fetching all the colored keycards again. Especially since some of the levels had a lot of those ArchViles that resurrected the other monsters. So I often played the role of cannon fodder, distracting the monsters while my friend fetched the keycards.

I typed this to him in-game, and accidentally hit '0' instead of 'o', and a nickname was born. Decided to keep the 0 as a sarcastic reference to 13375p34k.

People usually think it's a reference to the video game, but it's not - even though I did play that game in the Amiga days :)

CleverCat:
Hi, the pronounciation does actually throw people off because of the three vowels in a row. The E is silent really, so it's pronounced exactly like the word 'own'.

The other Gaelic spelling is Eoghan, the English would spell it Owen.
-Eóin (June 03, 2009, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I almost put Owen!  ;)

nudone:
my fellow-truck drivers ALWAYS read my "CodeTRUCKER" as me being a goody-two-shoes driver that never breaks any law and only does everything "by the book."  I have to explain that I "code," as in "program" computers to keep the lynch mobs to a minimum.
-CodeTRUCKER (June 02, 2009, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
heheh, that's funny.

i think f0dder is a cool name - and its origins back it up.

nudone = nud1. i wanted to use "nud" for my hotmail account but obviously it was taken, so i typed nudone when i could just as easily have put nud01 or nud001 or whatever.

nud comes from Nudda, a local man, now dead, that everyone knew of around these parts (not for good reasons). when a group of us started skateboarding we'd often refer to our skate territory (the neighbouring villages and towns) as "Nuddsville".

when non local skaters came to visit (often in groups as they do) they'd hear the locals referring to "Nuddsville" which must have stuck in their minds. i didn't have a nickname so a few of these non locals would refer to me as Nudd instead of Nick (probably because they both start with the letter "N").

at the same time, locals would often use the name "Nudda" in a derogatory way, when poking fun at someone else. so the names "nudd" and "nudda" were often heard during the day for different reasons - eventually merging into my official nickname: nud (with one "D" as i think it looks more aesthetically pleasing).

i'll still answer to the call of "nudda" when someone uses it, or even the more affectionate "nudbastard" if required.

vegas:
Inspired by the city itself (and the many lives one can live there).

Darwin:
I've long been a student of evolutionary theory and in a moment of paranoia about net annonymity took to using Darwin as my login/username for my IDs. It has a double meaning, as well, because it is also the name of my college at Cambridge.

The avatar is a mirrored version of a picture of Amud 1. I studied Neanderthals for years and it seemed appropriate. I should change it but at this point it would feel like having plastic surgery to hide my identity  ;D

EDIT: corrected a typo and added link to wiki page on the Neanderthals

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version