ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where did your DC user I.D come from?

<< < (6/14) > >>

Paul Keith:
Sign me up for the most cliche way of getting nicknames: Fake Name Generator  :P (I actually thought I'd used Fantasy Name Generator but on that day I misclicked on the speed dial and was too lazy to switch tabs and so I settled for Paul Keith)

wreckedcarzz:
I made mine up back when I was 7 (nearly 10 years ago now) when I had to get a kids-AOL account (knowing my dad's password defeated that, but, moving on..)

I have always been big into racing games and I crash a LOT in them (well, less now, but back then :D) and decided to base my Username on that. The AOL Usernames "wrecked", "wreckedcar" and "wreckedcars" was taken - so I decided to get creative and make "wreckedcarzz"; the "wrecked" obviously meaning crashed, "car" just explaining that it was a car crash, and the two "zz" symbolize the two crashed and mushed up cars within this ideal scenario.

And "wreckedcarzz" was born :)

Other usernames I have/used:
SpoilerAlternatively, over the years with AOL and the various times I tinkered with it, I also ended up with some other usernames based off this one:

wreckedcarzzz (no longer active)
wreckedcarzzzz
wreckedcarzzzzz
WreckedGTACarzz (from my GTA3-crazy phase)

Also, at OMGPOP.com you can find me under the name BabyTiger, and at various sites now I go by the name Midnight Wolf (also my Xfire nickname); both derived from my fursona (nsfw)

mouser:
Maybe each person should post 2 answers, one true, and one made up for entertainment purposes.

As for mine..

Back in the 1940s i worked in Scotland Yard and was a hotshot detective, best in the department.  Nicknamed "mouser" for my ability to always catch my prey (like a cat catch's mice), the name stuck and soon became a more general slang term for detectives.  To this day the London criminal underground keeps a careful eye on my international travels and if i should ever try to head back to England i have been told i wouldn't survive a week.  On the plus side, if you ever get pulled over by a police officer in Brighton who wants to give you a ticket, just tell them that Captain Mouser said to let you go, and Jacks your uncle.

app103:
My real name is April. For whatever reason people have always felt the need to shorten this to something that sounded rather insulting and made me the victim of a lot of malicious teasing when I was a kid. (ape)

When I was 14, a friend of mine, not wanting to be insulting, decided to be a little different, changed the vowel sound, and started calling me App, instead. And it caught on and just stuck.

The 103 was added because I was using WinMX and all usernames have to end in a 3 digit number and I wasn't feeling especially creative that day. Those that know me well enough, know what it means.

40hz:
Kind of a long story...

Back in my well-spent youth up in Boston, I was the bass player in an "all-originals" rock band. At the time, I was big on experimenting with intonation and psycho acoustics as a hobby. As a result, I'd often try come up with various ways to inexpensively improve our overall sound since we couldn't afford much in the way of equipment. One big break came when I accidentally discovered something about our Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater PA system.

One day before rehearsal, I noticed that a tape of baroque music I was playing though the PA system sounded remarkably better than anything else I had ever heard going through it - including our band. During a break, I decided to play along with the tape and noticed I had to slightly detune my bass to match the other instruments. When I checked it against a tuner, I discovered that my low E-string was now tuned to 40Hz as opposed to the standard 41.2Hz for that note under A=440 tuning.

Thinking I might be onto something, I got the rest of the band to match my slightly lowered tuning, and the result was an significant improvement in sound for the entire band.

We used our new tuning the next time we played out at a club, and the reaction amazed us. Everybody was telling us how fantastic we sounded. And some fellow musicians even complimented us on our "new" sound system. After that, we always used 40Hz as our reference standard.

Inside the group, we always called each other by our first initials. No real reason for it. It was just a 'band thing.' Since my first name is Ed, I should have been called "E." But that moniker had already been bestowed on Ellen - our drummer's devastatingly intelligent and beautiful girlfriend. So I became "Low-E" in order not to screw up the tradition.

After my accidental discovery, however, our lead singer rechristened me "40Hz" in honor of our new low E, and the name stuck.

Now aren't you glad you asked? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version