topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Where did your DC user I.D come from?  (Read 49511 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Where did your DC user I.D come from?
« on: June 02, 2009, 07:51 PM »
CodeTRUCKER here!.  
Ever wondered where that appellation came from?  Ok, maybe not, but in the last three years I have often wondered where the different UIDs originated. Names like "allen," "mrainey" and "zridling" are not too tough to guess at but, nicknames like, "Tinjaw," "app103," "f0dder" "Ampa" and "Innuendo" intrigue me.  There has to be a story behind those monikers, for sure.  Take mine; for instance,... "CodeTRUCKER."

My UID, "CodeTRUCKER" was born because I have been a professional TRUCKER for 20+ years and I own (as in, "paid for") my Volvo VNL770 tractor.  I am a degreed Computer Programmer, but I still can do a modicum of "Code"-ing, in spite of the degree. :P  The only thing is, this has backfired among my associates.  Read on...

The world of the Trucker is laden with regulations and "codes" we have to adhere to in order to operate and my fellow-truck drivers ALWAYS read my "CodeTRUCKER" as me being a goody-two-shoes driver that never breaks any law and only does everything "by the book."  I have to explain that I "code," as in "program" computers to keep the lynch mobs to a minimum.

Ok, now it is your turn.  While I hope no one feels compelled to reveal any deep, dark secrets, I am persuaded that I am not the only one who was curious when seeing a post by "Mouser." :)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:51 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where did your DC user I.D come form?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Heh. Mine is pretty lame, I can say…

Back in the past, during studies, I had thought that having nice logo (and name) in "About" dialogues for applications I had to code would be really cool so I decided to create one by my own. I took one of my friend's tattoo sketches which I liked and chose "fenix" because of mythology fascinations.

Final work looked like:

logo1.png

Of course, that was in dark times of middle ages (no Internet those days).

When an Internet has been connected to me I needed recognizable nickname which could not reveal my real name. I've never liked to share it with public. I wanted to use "fenix" but due to being late with on-line activity, all fenixes were occupied anywhere I went (newsgroups, e-mail addresses, etc.). Getting something like fenix434 or fenix5345 was out of question! I decided to put it altogether and that is how fenixproductions was born. Surprisingly: it was unique everywhere!

Coming here and using such nickname is just being consistent and keeping virtual personality unchanged. That way you can be sure that if you find my nick somewhere (and see the same avatar) it will be me :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:52 PM by fenixproductions »

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where did your DC user I.D come from?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:36 PM »
I thought that "executer" with a "g" in front sounded cool. No special meaning.
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:47 PM »
rg is my initials, dot is the lamest attempt in history to make it sound "webby", put together I registered the domain and also use it as my id/username in a few places

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 12:23 AM »
My name simply is Eóin :)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 01:03 AM »
My name simply is Eóin :)

How do you pronounce it? Maybe attach a recording?

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 01:13 AM »
He's Irish so I'm guessing Gaelic form of 'Ian'? ;)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:31 AM »
Hi, the pronounciation does actually throw people off because of the three vowels in a row. The E is silent really, so it's pronounced exactly like the word 'own'.

The other Gaelic spelling is Eoghan, the English would spell it Owen.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 01:45 AM »
this is embarassing but.. I don't remember! I had it as a nickname for 10 years maybe, and I don't remember it's origin.  And i've had this avatar since start of DC.. didn't give too much thought to it just seemed fun.  Maybe i need a new one in 2010.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 01:59 AM »
i've had this avatar since start of DC.. didn't give too much thought to it just seemed fun.  Maybe i need a new one in 2010.
:o but we wouldnt recognise you any more
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 02:04 AM »
Back in the days of 10BASE-2 (aka BNC) networking, I played a lot of cooperative doom with a buddy of mine. When playing the Memento Mori levels for doom2 on Ultra Violence, there was a lot of dying involved, and a lot of fetching all the colored keycards again. Especially since some of the levels had a lot of those ArchViles that resurrected the other monsters. So I often played the role of cannon fodder, distracting the monsters while my friend fetched the keycards.

I typed this to him in-game, and accidentally hit '0' instead of 'o', and a nickname was born. Decided to keep the 0 as a sarcastic reference to 13375p34k.

People usually think it's a reference to the video game, but it's not - even though I did play that game in the Amiga days :)
- carpe noctem

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 02:37 AM »
Hi, the pronounciation does actually throw people off because of the three vowels in a row. The E is silent really, so it's pronounced exactly like the word 'own'.

I almost put Owen!  ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 03:21 AM »
my fellow-truck drivers ALWAYS read my "CodeTRUCKER" as me being a goody-two-shoes driver that never breaks any law and only does everything "by the book."  I have to explain that I "code," as in "program" computers to keep the lynch mobs to a minimum.
heheh, that's funny.

i think f0dder is a cool name - and its origins back it up.

nudone = nud1. i wanted to use "nud" for my hotmail account but obviously it was taken, so i typed nudone when i could just as easily have put nud01 or nud001 or whatever.

nud comes from Nudda, a local man, now dead, that everyone knew of around these parts (not for good reasons). when a group of us started skateboarding we'd often refer to our skate territory (the neighbouring villages and towns) as "Nuddsville".

when non local skaters came to visit (often in groups as they do) they'd hear the locals referring to "Nuddsville" which must have stuck in their minds. i didn't have a nickname so a few of these non locals would refer to me as Nudd instead of Nick (probably because they both start with the letter "N").

at the same time, locals would often use the name "Nudda" in a derogatory way, when poking fun at someone else. so the names "nudd" and "nudda" were often heard during the day for different reasons - eventually merging into my official nickname: nud (with one "D" as i think it looks more aesthetically pleasing).

i'll still answer to the call of "nudda" when someone uses it, or even the more affectionate "nudbastard" if required.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 05:11 AM »
Inspired by the city itself (and the many lives one can live there).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I've long been a student of evolutionary theory and in a moment of paranoia about net annonymity took to using Darwin as my login/username for my IDs. It has a double meaning, as well, because it is also the name of my college at Cambridge.

The avatar is a mirrored version of a picture of Amud 1. I studied Neanderthals for years and it seemed appropriate. I should change it but at this point it would feel like having plastic surgery to hide my identity  ;D

EDIT: corrected a typo and added link to wiki page on the Neanderthals
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:48 AM by Darwin »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 08:57 AM »
I am honestly not sure where this came from. I just picked letters using the randomization formula from mouser's prize picker for the monthly giveaways. This is the result!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 09:28 AM »
I am honestly not sure where this came from. I just picked letters using the randomization formula from mouser's prize picker for the monthly giveaways. This is the result!

;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 11:11 AM »
My real name is Eddy and in crafting a web persona, I waffled between two names, 'edvard' and 'hpp3'; 'edvard' being a more esoteric form of 'Eddy', and 'hpp3' being a rotation (try writing hpp3 on a piece of paper and rotate it 180... clever, no?).

'edvard' was what was on my mind when I came here so there it is.
I've also found 'edvard' is quite a bit more anonymous. :)

P.S. If you google "hpp3" you'll get a few hits on some Linux sites (that's me!) and lots of references to the Hypertech Power Programmer electronic engine performance mod chip thingummy. I have no interest in things of that sort, so that's not where it comes from... in case anyone was wondering.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Shhh!
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Any die hard Sonic Youth fan will know ;)

But to anyone else: 'Tuck N Dar' is the title of a track on the soundtrack to a movie called 'Made in USA'. All the tracks on the soundtrack are by Sonic Youth, and I happened to be listening to this album the very first time I needed an online nick for some IRC chatting. I liked the title 'Tuck N Dar' so just picked that for my nick, and it stuck. Must've been something like 10-12 years ago.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 12:22 PM »

I think you're joshing!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 01:27 PM »
While I tend to be expressionless I do have a rather dry (and sometimes dark) sense of humor. A long time friend (who died a few years back) used to like needling me about my Stoic Behavior. ...and the name was born. The moniker has been with me for almost 20 years.

There is a rather vulgar (johnny-Come-Lately) child running around the web also using the name in connection with branded parties in California ...(No Connection to Me)... That I once suffered the mindless driveling rants of via Email (Seems he wanted my domain name). But I'm assuming he'll grow-up and go away eventually.

gpetrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Originally, my (x)friends used to call me Einstein at college.  And not in a complimentary way, either.  In fact, they did it to humiliate me, out of jealousy because I found the holy grail of physics: I solved the unification of the four forces problem.  I'm still startled by the elegance of my solution:

Fs = strong nuclear force 
Fe = electromagnetic force
Fw = weak nuclear force 
Fg = gravitational force 

Fs + Fe + Fw > Fg

Fg < Sa

Sa > Fs + Fe + Fw

Since Sa is greater than Fs + Fe + Fw, and Fg is lesser than Fs + Fe + Fw, then Fg < Fs + Fe + Fw + Sa or Sa > Fs + Fe + Fw + Fg.  Therefore, there is a force greater than the combined four forces.  If there is a force greater than the combined four forces, then they can't be unified unless Sa is a rational number.  Unfortunately, although Sa (sexual attraction) is real, it is also irrational.  And it is greater than the four forces combined. 

Upon termination of my scholarship, and a sound paddling from the dean in front of the student body, I decided to go back to my roots.  Shywolf is my North American Indian name, and the non de plumage under which I write.
Shywolf

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 06:24 PM »

I spent a year in Wolverhampton in the late 90's and had great trouble understanding the locals... I would not survive Ireland for sure.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Well mine's rather boring - I like four-wheel driving and bashing around in the bush :)

I've used it as an ISP account login for about 15-20 years.

The only times I haven't been able to use it was because it either:

a) started with a number - I can't even use it on my NAS because POSIX is so anal about it.
b) it's too short - honestly, does it really matter Mr. Gmail?
c) both (a) and (b) - sheesh!

The avatar is just a video of the kind of stupid things we get up to while camping - although they are rather impressive and we have had more than one shout of "Encore!" at various camping sites :D

I should change it but at this point it would feel like having plastic surgery to hide my identity  ;D

Perhaps a chimp morphing into Amud ?

Or vice versa, since that seems to be the current direction of human intelligence1 ?

1 - Disclaimer: I'm not implying in anyway that chimps are dumb, in fact I've never seen any animal be so creative with poop as chimps.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:19 PM by 4wd »