ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Attention: All TheBAT! users!

<< < (2/3) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
EDIT: A solution to your problem is to just add an exclusion to The Bat!'s mail directory to your AV's real-time scanner. Any viruses will be picked up when you unarchive the file and try to run it anyway.
-Innuendo (June 02, 2009, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, I did this (I think), but just to be sure... I have gone into Avast!'s settings and added an exclusion for A! to not monitor the top-level mail directory.  Regardless, this did the trick.  I have A! running normally and TB! is downloading as fast as it did when I had A! suspended!

f0dder:
I haven't used any AV for quite some time. My combination of FireFox+NoScript+AdBlockPlus mixed with common sense has helped a lot :). My NAT'ing router keeps me safe from automated internet attacks, and running a 64bit XP reduced the attack surface a bit further. And now I'm on Win7 which means I have UAC...

No, this isn't a guarantee against viruses, but I've been clean for quite a while.

f0dder:
EDIT: A solution to your problem is to just add an exclusion to The Bat!'s mail directory to your AV's real-time scanner. Any viruses will be picked up when you unarchive the file and try to run it anyway.-Innuendo (June 02, 2009, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
This won't work if the antivirus program is monitoring the POP3/IMAP traffic though, rather than just monitoring files on disk?

CodeTRUCKER:
You are so "on the mark" when you say that common sense goes a long way in AV strategies! :Thmbsup:

EDIT: A solution to your problem is to just add an exclusion to The Bat!'s mail directory to your AV's real-time scanner. Any viruses will be picked up when you unarchive the file and try to run it anyway.-Innuendo (June 02, 2009, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
This won't work if the antivirus program is monitoring the POP3/IMAP traffic though, rather than just monitoring files on disk?
-f0dder (June 02, 2009, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

f0dder, if what you say is true, how does on account for the fix I am presently enjoying?  No criticism.  I am just puzzled?

f0dder:
--- End quote ---
-f0dder (June 02, 2009, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
f0dder, if what you say is true, how does on account for the fix I am presently enjoying?  No criticism.  I am just puzzled?
-CodeTRUCKER (June 02, 2009, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
My guess would be that the AV program doesn't filter the protocol, but only the files - otherwise it sounds pretty strange :)

Btw, I wouldn't suggest common sense as the only measure for other people. There's just so many things that can go wrong on the internet, and it only takes one hacked advertisement server for you to fall prey to a drive-by attack on a legitimate site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version