topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Backdrop" for Windows  (Read 8729 times)

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
"Backdrop" for Windows
« on: June 01, 2009, 04:22 PM »
I was visiting the wonderful website freedownloadaday.com and one of the most recent free programs offered was called Backdrop. Unfortunately it's for the Mac. Here's what it does:

Are you easily distracted? Do you have to turn your email off to keep from taking a look each time a new email from your favorite Nigerian prince comes in? Does your IM app keep you busy all day? If you lose your concentration every time something shiny flashes at you from your screen, maybe it's time to suppress all that extraneous activity on your computer.

If this all sounds like you, Backdrop can help make your life a little easier and more productive. Just fire it up, and it fills your screen, successfully obscuring all the apps running on your system except for the front-most application. Now instead of getting all bogged down with all the excitement happening in the background, you can focus on the task at hand, and actually get some work done.

Another use of Backdrop is for use when taking screenshots. If it usually takes you five minutes to tidy up your desktop to give your screen captures a clean background, all you need to do is invoke Backdrop and you've got instant clean.

Backdrop is a Mac application.

Can anyone easily create a similar app for the PC/Windows?

I'd really appreciate it.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Backdrop" for Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Maybe I'm just misreading what you have written or you have left something out that this program does, but when I want to "suppress all that extraneous activity on your computer" i just close every application that I deem to be extraneous at the moment & get on with my work with no distractions.

In other words, if I don't want any emails distracting me I leave my email client closed. Same thing with IMs, I'll leave my IM client closed.

Or let me rephrase this...why would you need your IM and/or email program to be running if you are going to have another program running to "block" them from being seen?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:08 PM by skwire »

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:44 PM »
Thank you Skwire for the great links. The Dropcloth is exactly the same utility, for Windows. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

To answer Innuendo, let's say I want my background programs to keep working, e.g. collecting emails, becoming instantly accessible if I need them, but I want to focus on my writing, for example.

Having everything hidden except what I want to focus on is a real blessing.

thanks again everyone

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:39 AM »
You're welcome...happy to help.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Crazy applications. Nothing I'd ever use, but I'm glad you were able to find an exact clone of the app you were looking for.

Hmmm...it just struck me that this app isn't for me because I'm a rabid multi-tasker. I'm always doing at least 3 projects on my PC at once. For those more "uni-task" inclined I'm sure something like this is a godsend.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Crazy applications. Nothing I'd ever use, but I'm glad you were able to find an exact clone of the app you were looking for.

Hmmm...it just struck me that this app isn't for me because I'm a rabid multi-tasker. I'm always doing at least 3 projects on my PC at once.
Me to and with Virtual PC + Remote Desktop it usually on multiple machines.
For those more "uni-task" inclined I'm sure something like this is a godsend.
...I thought that was what the maximize window button was for... *Shrug*

...Hay did anybody else think the "Mac users being distracted by shiny" things part of the application description was funny?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Distracted by shiny things? Laughs...I must have missed that part as I just glossed over the description. I think everyone is more prone to distraction than we used to be due the way things have changed culturally speaking.

As for Macs, I have nothing against them or the people who use them. I have used Macs before and they just don't work the way I work. This isn't as bad as it used to be, though. Before OS X those poor souls didn't even have pre-emptive multi-tasking.