ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Program Wanted

(1/2) > >>

Rover:
I just installed the latest MS updates.  Now MS would like me to reboot.  I'd like to ignore that request for several days.  I generally don't boot my system unless I really need to or I have nothing else to do.  Sort of like Mouser's recent request to Not Close an app, I don't want to reboot for a while.

MS, in their annoying wisdom, seems to think I want to be reminded ever 30 minutes or so.  So they pop up an annoying "Do you want to boot now?" message.  Did I mention that it doesn't matter what I'm doing?  It pops up, shifts context to itself and wants me to boot.  Now if I were just a wee bit unlucky, it might do it just as I was about to hit the space key while typing this note.  And sure enough, it'd reboot.

MAKE IT STOP!!!

Personal note to the Programmer who invented this "feature"

PhilKC:
Kill the Windows Update process wu*a*, or something similar.

EDIT: wuauclt.exe

PhilKC

Josh:
Easier way, after updating, kill the Automatic updates service, and you kill the annoying reminders

start - run - services.msc

Right click on automatic updates listing, choose STOP

Hirudin:
It's one I haven't tried yet, but could you use the program "Process Tamer" to controll that message?

nudone:
not exactly what you want to hear but i let the 'do you want to reboot' message appear (or whatever it says) and then i just move it down to the bottom of my screen so that i can only just see the top edge of the window poking up, then i forget about it - it doesn't ask again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version