Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 16, 2014, 02:04:51 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A small tweak to DC forum for Firefox & K-meleon users (enhances visited links)  (Read 4936 times)
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 01, 2009, 12:40:42 AM »

I like the look of the forum, and its colors but sometimes the lack of contrast between visited/unvisited links makes the visited links not obvious enough for me.

So I created a tweak to userContent.css that can be used in both Firefox and k-Meleon to change the visited link color from a lighter shade of blue, to purple. This doesn't affect all visited links on the site because that really looked bad. It just affects some of them...the ones I feel are the most important to have more contrast on.

Installing it is relatively simple.

Firefox:

In your Firefox profile folder is a userContent.css file (might not be there if you never set it up before, but there is an example file with a slightly different name)

Path to file:

on Win2k/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random looking chars].default\chrome\userContent.css
on Vista/Win7: C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random looking chars].default\chrome\userContent.css

• Open the file in Notepad (or create the file if it doesn't exist) and paste in the code, save, and restart your browser.

K-Meleon:

• Go to the Edit menu in K-Meleon, and under Configuration, select User-Defined Stylesheet. This will open a file named userContent.css in Notepad.
  • In the userContent.css file, go all the way to the bottom and locate the line that tells you not to edit anything below it.
  • Paste in the code right above that line and save the file.
  • Restart your browser.

The code:

Screenshot of what it does:

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:53:24 AM by app103 » Logged

Grorgy
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:58:52 AM »

thanks app, makes life a lot easier, i use various firefox and windows themes so colours get a bit confused at times.  For any one else who cuts and pastes like I did, it put in a lot of # characters between lines which need to be removed.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:05:44 AM »

For any one else who cuts and pastes like I did, it put in a lot of # characters between lines which need to be removed.

Not if you click this little link:

Grorgy
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:12:36 AM »

ahhh never thought of that little link lol  embarassed
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 03:11:32 AM »

nice.
CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 03:41:23 AM »

Very nice!  Thmbsup

If you need help - JUST ASK!
Jammo the OrganizedFellow
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:19 AM »

hhmm, why not have Mouser add this styling to the forum css?
http://www.donationcoder....orum/Themes/Dc2/style.css

or am i missing the point?  Sad

As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:03:09 AM »

Well, not everyone will like this so those that do want it can have it and those that don't, won't have to.

And it might introduce more people to the idea of taking control of their internet experience and customizing sites to suit their own preferences.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:05:29 AM »

Well, not everyone will like this so those that do want it can have it and those that don't, won't have to.
hm, thanks for the elaboration.
I didn't think of it that way.

Same idea as Greasemonkey, the addon for Firefox, right?

As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:12:32 AM »

This doesn't require any plugins and only uses CSS. And as far as performance, I have noticed that CSS site themes perform better in the usercontent.css file than when used in a greasemonkey script. (works faster without the annoying flash of the site's default theme)

J-Mac
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:08:48 AM »

Very nice, app!  And yes, I also used "Select All" and copied it with numbers at first. Had to do it again, not realizing the numbers would invalidate the script. (Definitely not a CSS person here!)

But after correcting it the forums now are much easier to look at and see what has already been visited.

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.067s | Server load: 0.08 ]