ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A Linux adventure: A Blog for linux newbees by a Linux Newbee...

<< < (3/4) > >>

cianoc:
I've been very pleasantly surprised by http://www.geteasypeasy.com/ for the Asus EEE. Can't imagine making the switch from Windows, as I have too much invested in it, but Linux makes for a very nice netbook.

40hz:
What is the Stigma about a child board??
-brotman (June 01, 2009, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

In the case of Linux and FOSS, I think there was a general feeling that a child board would be counterproductive and possibly lead to some balkanization of the forum.

There were also some folks that felt that the 'cross-cultural' benefits of having Linux discussed in the same places as Windows was more beneficial to the overall forum dialog than if it were off on its own.

I'm still conflicted as to whether it would be a good idea or a bad one to have a separate Linux board. But as of right now, I'm still less in favor of it than otherwise.

Just my 2ยข :)

40hz:
Again, I can offer only my experiences, no (initial) expertise.
-brotman (June 01, 2009, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not a problem. Far better to offer to share your experiences minus the (initial) expertise rather than try to share "expertise" without first having some experience. There are enough poseurs out there already.

I, for one, appreciate your candor. :Thmbsup:

Edvard:
The problem has been Windows 7 has been too good for me ot walk away from.
-Innuendo (June 01, 2009, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. I'm pretty certain I'll have W7 on one machine, however MS price it.
OTOH, there's no reason not to have Linux on them all  :)
-Dormouse (June 01, 2009, 12:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. No matter how chained to windows you are, Linux is ALWAYS an option.
Maybe not your ideal, but it's there if you ever feel like it.

mouser:
i do worry often about the idea of "Balkanization".. i think the more subforums there are in general, the more fragmented the discussions get, and the more the danger is that we lose the feeling of being one happy family.

of course the opposite is true to -- that if you try to have all discussions in one section, it the signal-to-noise ratio gets so bad that no one wants to even bother, since most of the posts they are encountering aren't relevant to them.

we could just try a linux section for a few months and see how it goes.. worst case scenario just merge those topics into the General Software section, no harm no foul.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version