ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 evaluation

(1/17) > >>

DocSavage:
Just for curiosity I loaded Windows 7 evaluation on a machine a few days ago. Since I don't have Vista on any of my machines it has been an interesting learning curve.
So far I don't see compelling reasons to switch from XP. I don't watch TV or movies from any of my PCs.
Anyone else have experience with this? Are there lots and lots of under the hood reasons it is better?

justice:
Doing things like managing and switching between applications is a lot faster in windows 7. Also working with frequent files. less distraction, easy side by side and window management. Keeping the pc running smooth is also a lot better - for example transparency is not showing: type that in search and windows will troubleshoot automatically the whole graphics side of the OS and fix any issues without interaction.

I don't want to sound  like a marketing guy but for new systems now I would only consider w7 (between that and xp/vista).

edbro:
I have to say that I do like Win7 but I am still not as comfortable with it as I am with XP. It is fast and stable. 

What I don' like about it, is that, like Vista, it redirects files and registry data to all kinds of different locations. I'm used to XP where I could backup just a few key locations and be good. First, it puts programs into 2 different ProgFiles directories if you run 64bit. Then it spreads user data into a myriad of different folders. Finally, if you run 64 bit, it will direct your HKLM entries into a new key called WOW6432Node. This greatly complicates a backup strategy.

mwfuss:
I have been using Windows 7, Build 7100 for two weeks now and I am very impressed and pleased. It feels faster than XP and is much, much more stable than Vista. I found Vista unusable because of constant crashes, but I have not had a single crash with Windows 7. It does have a bit of a learning curve, especially when going from XP, and some of things that have changed since XP are a bit quirky, but all in all, I think it is most definitely a step in the right direction for Microsoft.

My one and only complaint with Windows 7 really has nothing to do with the performance, features, and stability of the OS: UltraRecall is not fully compatible with Win 7 and I have had to go back to using OneNote for the time being while Kinook gets UR in shape to run on the new OS. An e-mail from the developers said that they would have this fixed within the next three months.

In spite of the issue with UR [and the fact that DirectoryOpus cannot yet be used as a replacement for Windows Explorer in Win 7], I do think that Microsoft is getting things right with this OS. I certainly look forward to its final release, although I do not look forward to the high price tag [$$$] that MS is sure to attach to Win 7.

Innuendo:
Windows 7 is not going to beat you over the head with things that scream "OMG! This is so much better!", but there are going to be plenty of times when you will be doing something and little things will pop out at you prompting you to think, "Ooo...nice touch."

Most of your complaints about where the OS stores files were the same with Vista. Some of it has to do with the way 64-bit has been implemented and some has to do with the new UAC security model. However, most of the folders like Documents, Favorites, Desktop, etc. are trivial to move into more backup-friendly locations. There's a Location tab in their folder properties  with most of them and even if not Windows 7 is smart enough to see if you drag and drop those folders to a new location it will use the new location moving forward.

Moving from XP to Windows 7 is going to take some getting used to. I'm not going to say there's a learning curve as it's not that difficult of a transition, but before you make any decisions as to how much you like or dislike the new Windows you should use it for a week or two just to get used to The New Way Of Things.

I have been using Windows 7 a long time...even back before it went into beta plus I came to it from Vista so I've got a different type of user experience than you, but there is no way I could go back to Vista now and working on an XP system makes me feel like I'm dealing with something obsolete and archaic.

Oh, and once you get the hang of configuring and tweaking it, the SuperBar rocks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version