topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google demonstrates new communication platform "WAVE": mail, chat , wiki, ..  (Read 54846 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.downloads...first-birthday-fail/

Unfortunately that article is terribly precise.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
@Jibz:
Unfortunately that article is terribly precise.
Hahaha, yes, very droll - "terribly precise".        :D

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think too much of the culture of "web 2.0" is skewed or geared towards mash-ups. There is so much love at places like google to invent something that someone else can do something with it. Map with traffic overlay, real-time chat with a translator bot, etc.

Wave in trying to be all things to all people overdid it and wasn't even ready. It is kind of the same with twitter, still getting the whale over capacity thing and being slower than molasses sometimes.

Offer something to people and roll the dice that people will get it, like it and tolerate its short comings.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RIP Wave!  :o Lots of lessons to be learned in the 'mashup' concept of things in my opinion

http://googleblog.bl...-on-google-wave.html

We don’t plan to continue developing Wave as a standalone product, but we will maintain the site at least through the end of the year and extend the technology for use in other Google projects

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RIP Wave!  :o Lots of lessons to be learned in the 'mashup' concept of things in my opinion

http://googleblog.bl...-on-google-wave.html

We don’t plan to continue developing Wave as a standalone product, but we will maintain the site at least through the end of the year and extend the technology for use in other Google projects

Feels right to me. I suspected from the beginning that Google Wave was intended more to develop ideas for other products than a real usable product in itself. Although I don't think I posted that anywhere, so I can't prove it. ;)

it set a high bar for what was possible in a web browser. We showed character-by-character live typing,...

I guess this is innovative for being in a web browser but there were programs during the Netscape 2.0 era that let you watch people type (which isn't very useful, and in fact I find it detrimental to communication).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Too bad Wave never really delivered what was shown off in the first place.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
At least I'll give them credit for giving up on projects that don't work. Don't waste the time or money.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Realizing now that if you need 1 hour presentation to introduce a program it's conceptually too complex. Because you can do everything you can use Wave for with other services/software (but not as easy) perhaps there was not enough reason to learn it. It had a lot of promise but unfortunately never made it to a desktop app level of polish for me . But mostly, I think it's beaten by facebook, as a communication tool. Perhaps with a popular google social network behind it it would have extended the lifespan.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:53 AM by justice »

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
At least I'll give them credit for giving up on projects that don't work. Don't waste the time or money.
Unlike Microsoft, eh?

So it is time to for a "WAVE Goodbye"   :eusa_boohoo:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Unlike Microsoft, eh?

So it is time to for a "WAVE Goodbye"   :eusa_boohoo:

Hey! Microsoft had the decency to kill Microsoft Bob. :P

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, word is the Wave engineers were/are allocated to an upcoming Google made Facebook competitor...that would be an even bigger risk for Google I think.