ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google demonstrates new communication platform "WAVE": mail, chat , wiki, ..

<< < (14/18) > >>

Deozaan:
On point 4, Wave is not just like a regular website. It's a collaborative tool for creating documents and discussion. So yes, I do kind of expect it to be exportable, if they want it to be useful for more than just casual discussion.-JavaJones (May 21, 2010, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that destroys the point of Wave. The idea is that in e-mail and other collaborate tools, you get multiple copies which can become outdated or conflict when one person misses the e-mail and joins in on a later one where some information was left out.

Wave stays as a single wave so that all data are always up to date and current for everybody. It's an online web app, so you should expect to have to be online in the browser to use it.

With that in mind, being able to embed Waves into other sites seems (IMO) to be a sufficient replacement for export functionality.

JavaJones:
Well, that pigeonholes Wave's functionality pretty tightly then, and I thought Google had bigger ambitions for it (see all the widgets/apps/whatever you can embed in a Wave for example). But if all Wave is intended to do is replace email and IM, then I'm definitely not going to bother. It has some small efficiency gains over both, but also some drawbacks, and overall is not the solution I'm looking for to the issues of either IM or email. To each their own, of course.

- Oshyan

Deozaan:
You shouldn't take my example as the all-inclusive uses for Wave. I think this video explains my point pretty well:

parkint:
I have been using WAVE for quite a while now for:
Collaboration
Brainstorming
Archive of images/ideas
Maintaining personal notes and TODO lists

Now, I admit it is NOT the perfect tool for every job.  I use Tungle.me to schedule meetings and RememberTheMilk.com for TODO lists with deadlines/notification and git for archive/retrieval.
But I do find more of my data stored "in the cloud".  Google Docs provides an outstanding alternative to [overpriced and overrated] MSOffice.  I have even drifted away from OpenOffice in favor of GoogleDocs.
Picasa provides a great alternative to Photoshop; with online storage built-in

One day I will wonder how I can survive without an Internet connection (and Google).

JavaJones:
Ok, so they've got this nice doc with a title, bullet points, images to illustrate, etc. Let's say we want to show this to the corporate CEO to get the "rock project" approved. Do we just have to share the wave with him, with all its messy chat and everything? Can I perhaps export it somehow? Oh, no, I can't do that. How about printing it? No. Can I eliminate all the unnecessary chatter that lead to the final doc? Maybe, yes, if I manually delete it all (and rely on history to reference any of it if I need it still). But that's laborious, and doesn't it just make the whole point of using Google Wave, er, pointless anyway? How is this *that* much better than e.g. Google Docs with notes and chat? A Google Doc which I can save, export, print, etc. with no problems at all...

Fortunately the fix is easy and Google can make Wave a lot more useful very quickly. Just give us export and print. Oh, and the ability to suppress pieces or whole *types* of content for printing and export (e.g. discussion vs. final content).

It seems odd to me that you're arguing against these features, or at least against their necessity. Do you just not care, or do you actively think they're unnecessary? Have you actually tried to use Wave for the kinds of activities Google claims it's useful for? Because I have. And it's not. IMHO. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version