topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Utility: Convert Multiple Columns in Excel to a Single Column  (Read 23296 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Utility: Convert Multiple Columns in Excel to a Single Column
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 05:53 PM »
It would be interesting to know how you go... I've got lots of Excel and Word toolbars around the building and we're looking at upgrading shortly...

I only have the one, but it's used all over the country.  If and when I do something about it I'll let you know 8)

FYI you're old toolbars will still showup, just not like they used to (they appear under the ADDINS tab of the ribbon, and they can be attached to the quick launch bar)

I have mixed feelings about the 'upgrade' - there are good things (substantially larger worksheets for one), but the interface changes are so drastic that my productivity took a huge hit (this has been discussed elsewhere).  Even 2 months on I still have to go searching for things I used to use all the time

Thanks.

Yes I'm concerned not just for my loss of productivity, but the drain on my time sorting everyone else out...

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 06:28 PM »
It would be interesting to know how you go... I've got lots of Excel and Word toolbars around the building and we're looking at upgrading shortly...
I only have the one, but it's used all over the country.  If and when I do something about it I'll let you know 8)

Turns out the ribbon is easier to work with than I expected - had some downtime on Friday because of a systems outage so I spent some time on this

As usual the VBA help file is, well, less than helpful.  The info may be there, but I clearly don't know the right questions to ask.

A google search turned up several references but this one did the trick. 

Everythings in XML, and while I won't pretend that I know anything about XML structure or syntax, the structure as used is pretty straight foward. 

Greatest aid is the Custom UI Editor for MS Office (get it here).  It will generate sample code, includes a code validator, and will generate the necessary VBA stubs for you (you need to copy and paste into the editor if you're going to use them).  That last bit is worth noting - it took me a while to twig to the fact that there is a parameter you need to add to the called routines to make the buttons work properly.

No doubt there's more to the whole ribbon interface, but I only needed to get a new tab on the bar for my macro's so that's as far as I've taken it (but YMMV)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 06:58 PM »
As usual the VBA help file is, well, less than helpful.  The info may be there, but I clearly don't know the right questions to ask.

I really don't understand why MS doesn't get .NET into MS Office already. You can use it in SQL Server, so why not Office? VBA is, well, painful in comparison.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I really don't understand why MS doesn't get .NET into MS Office already. You can use it in SQL Server, so why not Office? VBA is, well, painful in comparison.

I couldn't comment on that one, though as with many things MS's reasoning defies most accepted forms of logic. 

VBA got me started on coding and I don't know C (in any variation).  From a user perspective .NET seems to be a significant piece of bloatware (who wants to download and install a huge - up 250M -  piece of extra software just so they can write or run a macro...)

That said I'm not averse to learning C, I just don't have a reason at the moment

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Thanks for that  :Thmbsup: I'll have to keep this handy for future reference...

VBA's OK after you get used to it, and certainly quick to whip up something  ;)