topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: AntispamSniper For The Bat!  (Read 53238 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AntispamSniper For The Bat!
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 05:17 AM »
Fantastic review, Innuendo. I've been using AntispamSniper for over a year now, and it definitely generates less false positives and false negatives than PopFile, which I had used before - and PopFile was already pretty good. The toolbar is nice to have, and the configuration really needs very little maintenance.

Without ever tweaking the weighting, AntispamSniper gets almost everything right. Sometimes it's a bit hard to teach it very short messages (one-liners) as spam, and it takes a few of those before AntispamSniper learns to recognize them - but like I said, I've never bothered to tweak the filtering options.

My favorite feature of the shareware version is the automatic whitelisting of recipients in outgoing mail, really handy. Other than that, the freeware edition is probably fine for most uses.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 12:48 PM »
Hello Innuendo,

Great review!  :Thmbsup: (check your DonationCredits)  I have always held a "worker is worth his wages" and you obviously put a lot of work into this review.  I enjoyed reading it very much.  Given this is only your first review, perhaps you should consider developing your technical review skills to a professional end?  One of the most important aspects of writing is the ability to do so using what is called your, "real voice."  As I read your review, I could "hear" you "speaking," even though I have never really heard the sound of your voice.  Many at DC possess this ability, but f0dder, Darwin, Mouser, zriddling, app103 and Wordzilla excel in "speaking" in their missives, but I digress. 

As it turns out, I installed the trial version of the AntiSpamSniper into my TB! the very day you posted your review.  Talk about timing, how fortunate am I!  Also, I have to say how much I appreciate your willingness to provide "service after the sale," so to speak.  I am sure I will have some questions, but I plan to re-read your review in conjunction with whatever help files exist before I unload the salvo on you. ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 11:04 AM »
CodeTRUCKER, I have toyed with the idea of "developing my review skills to a professional end", but I have no idea how I'd go about doing that. Seems like everyone wants to be a reviewer of some sort and there are precious few of those positions available...especially those that actually pay anything.

As for my "real voice" that probably comes from a prior job I had where I was responsible for training nearly every employee on every computer-related for over 10 years. A review, IMHO, is just a training seminar with screenshots.  ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 10:03 AM »
Just to note - I used the discount code successfully to purchase a license for the Bat! version but the code was refused for the Outlook version...  :( :(

Vetaltm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009, 10:31 AM »
Just to note - I used the discount code successfully to purchase a license for the Bat! version but the code was refused for the Outlook version...  :( :(
The coupon problem is fixed. BTW, you can write directly to [email protected] in case of any issues.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Vetaltm, I do hope my mini-review drummed up some business for you and helped get the word out on a wonderful (and powerful) plugin.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Thanks, Vitaly! I went ahead and purchased the Outlook license as well... However, Plimus is "reviewing" my order - I suspect because I used the same credit card for a second purchase quite soon after the first (?).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2009, 12:22 PM »
BTW - I'm very impressed with AntiSpam Sniper  :Thmbsup: I bought it because SpamBayes has gotten increasingly flaky under Vista-64/Outlook 2007 (to the point where I have to uninstall/reinstall it every time I re-start my computer) and ran the trial - it captured spam messages that I NEVER managed to convince SpamBayes were spam. These are messages that my isp inserts (Telus detected SPAM) at the beginning of the subject. I've been flagging them as spam for years with SpamBayes and it never learns. Other than that, it's been brilliant! At any rate, I digress: Antispam Sniper is a fine bit of code indeed! Thanks, Vitaly and Innuendo  :Thmbsup:

Vetaltm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Vetaltm, I do hope my mini-review drummed up some business for you and helped get the word out on a wonderful (and powerful) plugin.
Thank you once again! I think that your review is an excellent tutorial, especially for those who afraid of a long feature list and prefer a human readable illustrated text. A link to this article is already on the plug-in's webpage, so anyone can read your review as a complementary description.

Vetaltm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Thanks, Vitaly! I went ahead and purchased the Outlook license as well... However, Plimus is "reviewing" my order - I suspect because I used the same credit card for a second purchase quite soon after the first (?).
It is a fraud check control, which is a bit paranoid on Plimus. But don't worry, in worst case it takes no longer than a few hours.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Heh, heh - they called while I was out so I am now awaiting a second call. I might just buy another license through your other vendor and give my wife the Plimus generated code when it arrives - she currently relies on Outlook's built-in Junk Mail filters.

EDIT: except that Plimus is the only vendor for the non-Bat! versions. C'est la vie...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:31 PM by Darwin »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2009, 04:57 PM »
A link to this article is already on the plug-in's webpage, so anyone can read your review as a complementary description.
-Vetaltm

Oh, wow! That's so cool...not only am I now famous, but hopefully I'll be able to bring in some cross-traffic to both your site and DonationCoder.

And there's no need to thank me. You have one of the most powerful anti-spam programs around, IMHO. I'm just happy I was able to shine a little spotlight on it to bring it to the attention of others.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Heh, heh - they called while I was out so I am now awaiting a second call. I might just buy another license through your other vendor and give my wife the Plimus generated code when it arrives - she currently relies on Outlook's built-in Junk Mail filters.

EDIT: except that Plimus is the only vendor for the non-Bat! versions. C'est la vie...

BTW this all worked out and my wife and I are each using AntiSpamSniper for Outlook. I'm not  :o using it under Windows 7 64 bit with Outlook 2007 and my wife is using it on XP Pro 32 bit with Outlook 2007. It's been working great on both systems.

EDIT: doh!

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 04:53 PM »
The advanced settings, e.g. RegExp based rules, are useful for those who receive hundreds ... of spam messages every day. Using the customized set of rules it is possible to block most of spam on the server ....
Supporting regexp is very important when configuration a spam scanner for automatic deletion. With any other method, you can have false positives. But a skilled person that understands the mechanics of e-mail headers (and regexp's) can craft a regexp looking for a particular spammer's signature method of hiding his return path in the header. In these cases, you can safely delete his spam.

Regexp's can work other ways. For example, I use the regexp
regexp{  Date:[^+-]+(\+[01].|-.[0-29]).0  }
to test for foreign time zones like +0100. Time zones in the US run between -0400 and -0800 generally. Of course, not all foreign email is spam, so this needs to be ANDed with other rules.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 05:13 PM »
foreign time zones like +0100

Ouch! That's pretty much all of Europe, except for the UK, Ireland and Portugal. That "and" condition had better be good :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Ouch! That's pretty much all of Europe, except for the UK, Ireland and Portugal. That "and" condition had better be good :)

Well, I'm sure the "and" condition is "And sender does not equal 'tranglos'"  ;)

Ibn Saeed

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 03:22 AM »
Hello

this is an excellent review.

I have been using the free version of AntiSpamSniper

I want to upgrade to a Full Version, does anyone have a Coupon Code  for AntispamSniper Pro ?