topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Turning automatic process taming off.  (Read 9452 times)

azza

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Turning automatic process taming off.
« on: December 19, 2005, 03:01 AM »
I have process tamer installed on my laptop (a development PC), and my desktop (mainly games).

For my laptop the program is perfect as is, however for my desktop I want to use it to set a default lower priority for programs like Konfabulator, so they don't chew processor cycles while I'm playing. 
Process Tamer handles this just beautifully, but I don't want it to lower the priority of my gaming software, and don't want to go through and manually specify all my games as a certain set priority. 

My question is, is there a way to turn off the automatic process priority adjustment?  A usage high trigger of 99% does half the job, because there is almost always some other process chewing up some of the processor, but a way of turning it off would be better still.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Turning automatic process taming off.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 03:09 AM »
you know, it's crazy that no one has asked for this before, and that i've not thought of it before -
of course it would be useful to leave PT enabled but just processing its rules and not taming things based on cpu usage.

i will try to add this in the next week and upload a new version.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 05:34 AM »
Why are the simple ideas always the best (and missed - this will be a brilliant solution for me too)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 06:33 AM »
this feature was added to the new release (2.03.01); see below for screenshot.

cinpl

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:31 AM »
I'm using PT with "Tame Applications Based on CPU Usage" turned on, because I use some DVBS program which sometimes hogs cpu. The problem is this software must work with Above Normal or even High priority to give super smooth playback. Normal CPU usage is between 30%-70% (depends on selected tv channel, data rate etc). Anyway sometimes (the reason is know for me and it is caused by some external conditions) it hogs CPU so with Above Normal/High priority it is impossible to close this application or do anything. One click and the result comes after a minute or so. Some CPU Usage trigger High option works perfectly and after a few seconds I can work, kill the process or do anything else.

So I can't turn off "Tame Applications Based on CPU Usage". When I want to play a game I have to disable temporary Process Tamer completely. I was thinking about some special mode for PT - lets call it "Tame ONLY SELECTED Application on CPU Usage". In this mode we would select an application name and set some new type of Explicit Rule: "TAME (according to CPU Usage).

Most applications that run on our systems works with Normal priority and have no reason to hog cpu completely in any situation. But if you use some appliaction that you know can hog your cpu (in case of Internet connection for example) and it must work in higher priority class you would got in trouble.

So in this new mode I would only select some applications which I would like to tame based on CPU Usage. I think it is not a so huge PT modification. Just an option. Of course  most users will still use default ALL process tamming method.

Btw, great program.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:06 AM »
this is not a bad idea, and my plan is to soon add more ability to fine tune how to handle different programs.

until then, it sounds though like you might get the basic behavior you want if instead you just leave on the high cpu taming set PT to "ignore" certain specific programs like the games and internet connection utilities and others that you want to let run at high priority, which PT already will let you do.

cinpl

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 10:25 AM »
Yes, I know I can handle games using ignore. My idea is just an negative logic to ignore specific applications. It is just an improvement. Some users may find it more comfortable than existing logic. There are some programs similar to PT, but none of them has this kind of logic. Anyway I find PT best of them. I like little, simple but efficient and reliable software. I'm also software developer, KM Remote and KM Wakeup are my freeware tools. I don't post any links, it is not an advertisement.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Yes i definitely agree it sounds like a nice idea - and i will put it on my todo list - i just have to add the ability to specify more custom instructions for each app, and then this will be easy to add.

By the way cinpl, we very much love having software authors here - please do make a post to introduce us to your programs - we won't view it as spam as long as you promise not to make the same post about them each week and tell us that we won the lottery :)  ;D