ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any ideas - expand a wireless network to a neighbouring house?

<< < (4/4)

rute:
Hi,
You didn't mention the spec of the wireless router in your main house.  A Wireless N router in the main house with a wireless N adapter in the cottage could be a way to go, the improved range might just get through the thick walls!

Good luck!

Carol Haynes:
Its a Netgear 54g router (supplied by SkyTV Broadband so I am not sure of the model number). I know wireless n has good range but even so I think it would struggle through numerous solid stone walls - all about 24-30" thick !!

I have got some homeplugs to try out and will give them a go on Monday. My only concern is that the two buildings are on the same mains supply but have separate distribution boards and there seems to be some variability about whether homeplugs can work on two separately distributed circuits. At least the homeplugs should get me to within about 10 feet of the destination (even if it doesn't work in the second building) - I can then run an ethernet cable under the gravel path into the next building and either install a switch, wifi Expander or a wall mounted ethernet socket. Fingers crossed the homeplug works.

slyskawa:
I've done this on a professional basis for a client.  You need a wireless ethernet bridge such as any of the Linksys WET series (wet610n is the latest).  This takes a wired connection and transmits it over the wireless network.  My distance was pretty far so I ended up with 2 wireless routers, one at each location, and 2 wireless bridges, again one at each location.  The wireless bridges provide a wireless pipe between the two location.  The wireless routers provide wireless access at each location.  This is all secured using WPA.

I've also done it with less wireless devices by using the customized router firmware, such as dd-wrt, tomato or openwrt but you did not seem interested in that solution.

Let me know if you would like more detailed information.

normeus:
Try this:
http://meraki.com/
I haven't used it but it seems like it should work plus you would be able to charge for internet usage  :D

Carol Haynes:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I have been playing with powerline adapters and have managed to set up a connection from one building to another without any issues. They are quite happy with it the way it is at the moment and if they need it to be wireless in the future I can simply add an expander to the powerline adapter in the external building.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version