ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any ideas - expand a wireless network to a neighbouring house?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eóin:
Possibly pure ignorance here, but would simply having two routers plus some thing else with DHCP (switch / adsl / wired router) not work. I mean two wireless routers, one in each house, neither with DHCP turned on. From their WAN ports connect them to a regular wired router which would have it's DHCP turned on. Then everyone connected to one wireless router can still see everyone connected to the other because they're all actually behind the same NAT.

It could probably be gotten to work with just the two wireless routers. One would have DHCP on and the other's WAN port would connect to a regular LAN port on the DHCP wireless router.

nudone:
sorry. after reading your original post i now see the problem - but don't have any good suggestions.

could you put a cable up through into the roof cavity and then drop it down into the next cottage - messy i know.

what about the mimo wireless routers - maybe a decent one would be powerful enough to get through the wall.

Dormouse:
Why bother with wireless?

Two homeplugs on your side. One near your router, the other near the wall. Ethernet through the wall. Then whatever you want on the other side.

patthecat:
House to house via ethernet cable would be the best and stable solution but I think Carol's concern is the length of the cable run as the router is not against the wall next to the other house.

I guess I would approach this like:

Main house: Main router to repeater router with dd-wrt connected via ethernet (preferrably) or wireless.  Repeater router should be placed near a window so signal can propagate outside.

Other house: Some sort of directional external antenna either connected to the wifi card / wifi usb dongle of the computer or another router.  Antenna should be focused on the path from the main house where the signal can go out with the least amount a resistance (like near that main house window).

If the router firmware replacement scenario is not feasible then maybe using just the cantenna would be a cheapest solution to try since it's a focused directional antenna.

Dormouse:
homeplug will do 300m

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version