topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

What secs/mins/hrs/etc. do you set in your "Check mail every ???" settings option?

Less than 1 min
4 (4.7%)
1 min
8 (9.4%)
2 - 5 mins
28 (32.9%)
6 - 10 mins
13 (15.3%)
11 - 20 mins
11 (12.9%)
21 - 30 mins
4 (4.7%)
31 - 40 mins
0 (0%)
41 - 50 mins
1 (1.2%)
51 - 60 mins
1 (1.2%)
61 - ? mins/hrs/days/ (define in post)
1 (1.2%)
Check manually -or- Do not use
12 (14.1%)
I use IMAP... no worries! :)
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Last post Author Topic: "Check mail every ??? minutes"  (Read 28841 times)

GHammer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Check mail every ??? minutes"
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 06:52 AM »
Major (GMail, Yahoo, Live) mail servers while offering POP also will disable your account if you check too often. I used to check every 5 minutes using a tool seperate from my email client. Then, one day, I was locked out of my GMail account. Getting access again is its own story, but needless to say, I now am on a 15 minute schedule using POP Peeper.

DocSavage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Legend in my own mind
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 07:08 AM »
I seldom use clients anymore. I keep a machine up & open to Yahoo! Mail that updates within seconds. AIM messenger, MS messenger, Yahoo! messenger & Skype are open too. Yeah, I am hooked, but few of my messages ever make it to my hard drive...well, the messengers keep a log, but...you know...
From believing in Santa to not believing in Santa, from being Santa to looking like Santa, I will never be younger than I am today!

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 09:48 AM »
nice to know I'm not alone in the 2-5 mins category :D
I have email client minimised to tray but no sound notification - otherwise I'd get nothing done ...

That's a good idea.  I do it manually at the moment, so I don't get distracted, but I like your idea.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 05:33 PM »
There isn't an IMAP option so I just selected "less than 1 minute".

I hate web based email clients.  I use my own domain hosted at godaddy and use IMAP with it.  I have Outlook 2003, Thunderbird on my Netbook, and my Windows Mobile phone set up to check the same account.  Works great, and on my desktop emails come in pretty much instantaneously.  Given a choice, I will never use POP3 again.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 01:37 PM »
IMAP
 I have finally added IMAP.  Unfortunately, I can not set the poll to allow changing vote.  My apologies to anyone  that needed it.

I ran across this a couple of days ago and thought it should be included with the thread.  I found it here.

Please note this quote is about Outlook from an Outlook-specific web site, but it applies to a wider scope.

How frequently should Outlook check for new mail on the server?

For optimal service in both Outlook and on the mail server, no less than 8 -10 min, longer if you use a dialup account. Every min or two is too frequent!

Why? Three reasons:

1. Outlook doesn't mark mail as downloaded until after it finishes downloading all mail. If Outlook starts a new collection before it's finished with the first one you'll either end up with duplicates or Outlook will lock up and you'll need to reboot the computer.
   2. Be kind to your ISP. Checking for new mail uses resources on the server. If every account holder would check for new mail every minute, the ISP would need new servers to handle the load, or fewer subscribers.
   3. Don't hog the connection - leave it free so other subscribers can use it. If everyone tries to check mail at once, some users will experience timeouts. This is because there are a limited number of connections to the mail server. By using a higher setting, the chances of everyone checking at once is lowered and everyone has a better experience.

If you feel your email is so important that you or your business would die with checks less often than 8 minutes, then email isn't the right medium for you. Use instant messaging or the telephone for urgent matters that can't wait 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:20 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 12:26 AM »
Outlook. No setting for it. :( Or none that I can see. Can't be bothered to look too deep as I just check manually most of the time.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46 AM »
I check mail manually when I have time and if I am required / asked to.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I check if I know that i'm waiting for an e-mail, other than that, I dont bother with them.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 03:56 AM »
Since I typically use Gmail, I just leave a window/tab open to it most of the time. But since I also use Google Talk and have an Android phone, I often get notifications through those before Gmail updates itself.

But back when I used a client on my machine and downloaded mail from the POP server, I set it to check every 5 minutes. That was even on a dial-up connection.

Also, I have never used Outlook, except as required by various employment, and I have no idea what settings they used for e-mail there.

PeterRossy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43 AM »
This will sound funny but I use the BAT! and do not worry about the e-mail upgrading.