topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Similar program to Ps Tray factory that works on Vista 64-bit.  (Read 38342 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Similar program to Ps Tray factory that works on Vista 64-bit.
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 01:07 PM »
I wrote to the developer immediately after making the post above no word, yet, but I'll report back when I do hear form him or her. What has me a bit puzzled is that the purchases were made in 2006... so well before Feb 2008.

Just an update - never did receive a response so have long since stopped worrying about it. Not very impressed, though...  >:(

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16 AM »
I’m now on Vista Ultimate 64-bit and wanted to confrim that PS Tray Factor 2.63 (which is a beta) does not work under it (though it worked brilliantly under Vista 32-bit). I'm soldiering on using Windows "Hide Unused Icons' feature, which is "OK", but I do miss PS Tray Factory... Hope the developer gets a 64-bit (or 64-bit compatible) version out soon.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 12:24 PM »
I’m now on Vista Ultimate 64-bit and wanted to confrim that PS Tray Factor 2.63 (which is a beta) does not work under it (though it worked brilliantly under Vista 32-bit). I'm soldiering on using Windows "Hide Unused Icons' feature, which is "OK", but I do miss PS Tray Factory... Hope the developer gets a 64-bit (or 64-bit compatible) version out soon.

Where are you seeing the beta? When I go to the web site I see that the latest item the developer has posted in the "News" section is May 7, 2007!!

I don’t see anything there about a beta version.

Thanks!

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 02:44 PM »
- from page 1:

Actually, there is a top secret link to PSTray Factory somewhere in these forums that gives access to the 64-bit version, if I remember correctly.  Hold on, let me find it...
OK, here's the actual link to the file:
http://www.pssoftlab...nload/pstrayf263.exe

And here's the thread where I found it here at DC (thanks Josh!):
PS Tray Vista (DC thread)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 08:57 PM »
Yeah! What Curt said  ;D That version works under Vista 32 bit but not under 64-bit (though my hopes had been high for it  :()...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 12:54 PM »
OK - I received a reply to a query to PS Tray Factory's developer about a 64-bit compatible version and received a prompt reply with a link to an alpha version of such a release (FWIW it will be version 3.0). It's installed and runnig, though I did have problems with explorer.exe crashing and my taskbar disappearing after install, before I got it running. I"ve asked the developer if he minds me posting a link to the alpha here and will do so if he approves.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I wrote to the developer immediately after making the post above no word, yet, but I'll report back when I do hear form him or her. What has me a bit puzzled is that the purchases were made in 2006... so well before Feb 2008.

PS I also asked about the licencing issue. The developer assured me that this is fine (though I am not clear on the whys and wherefores) so my mind is at ease  :)

The_Doomer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Does the 64-bit version of PS Tray Factory work well?  :tellme:
PGP Fingerprint: F8FC 92DF AAD2 D91C 1B07  01A6 118F 251B 85EC 1FCE

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Hi The_Doomer - the beta of version 3 does work well, with a few idiosyncracies... For instance, there are a few icons that keep showing up in my system notification area - PS Tray Factory will hide them for a while and then they'll just show up again. I've sent a report to the developer - hopefully a new build will be out soon. I never did hear back from him about posting a link to the beta here... Worth writing to him directly, though.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
64-bit version of Ps Tray factory - link to alpha
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 09:26 AM »
OK - just heard back from Sergey, the developer of PS Tray Factory, and he's given me the green light to post the link to the alpha for PS Tray Factory 3.0a: http://www.pssoftlab...nload/pstrayf30a.exe

This works under 64-bit systems well, with the following caveat: some icons keep being displayed in the system notification area whether you select them to be hidden or not. It appears that those that are affected are for programs that run under the explorer.exe process (Volume Control, Windows Sidebar, etc.) Sergey is working on a fix now.

Shaba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 10:05 AM »
TNX for beta
I'm trying PS Tray Factory 3.0a (beta) on XP x64 bit edition.
It not work wery well :-/
After reboot icon don't desappear and i must select from menu to hide it.
There is a way to fix? New beta arrive?

TNX
Shaba

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Hi Shaba - that's pretty much my experience as well, sadly. A fix is in the works, but I've had no communication from the developer with respect a  timeframe. I'd contact the developer if I were you listing your system specs and the problems you're having with the alpha. The support e-mail address is on the options tab.

Shaba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I send a email to developer
I'm trying new beta of systrayx that work quite fine for me :-)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Yeah, I received a notice about the Systrayx beta this morning. However, I am not a huge fan of the author's licensing model so will stick with PS Tray Factory (and hope that the bugs are ironed out of it - no reason not to believe that they will be worked out, given that I'm running the first alpha version at the moment...). Having said that, if it's working for you - go for it  :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Just received a link to the latest alpha build of the 64 bit version of PS Tray Factory, if anyone is interested in giving it a shot:

http://www.pssoftlab...load/pstrayf303a.exe

I've used each version and they have gotten progressively better. Haven't run this one, yet, but the previous build was pretty stable.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Excuse the cross-post, but I wanted to make sure that people see this:

Just an update, this build doesn't work on my system at all (Vista 64 bit) - it behaves exactly as does PS Tray Factory 2.5 under Vista 32 bit - it installs fine but the main window doesn't populate with icons to be hidden/shown. I'll keep you updated...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Just thought I'd post to let everyone know that PS TrayFactory 3 has been released. I used one of the recent beta builds and it worked flawlessly. I'm running without it these days, though - see my comments above about Vista's "Hide Inactive Icons" feature. To summarize, it just works...

EDIT: PS obviously the point of this is that it now works well with 64 bit versions of Windows...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:30 PM by Darwin »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Just thought I'd post to let everyone know that PS TrayFactory 3 has been released. I used one of the recent beta builds and it worked flawlessly. I'm running without it these days, though - see my comments above about Vista's "Hide Inactive Icons" feature. To summarize, it just works...

EDIT: PS obviously the point of this is that it now works well with 64 bit versions of Windows...

Hi Mikey!

OK, I'm a little confused - which I guess is a heck of a lot better than BIG confused! What's different in this version?  (Other than getting absolutely NO notification of the new version other than your post here). The PS Tray Factory version that was available right up until this V.3 release - V.2.5 - was released a looong time ago: November 10, 2006. Two and a half years ago. I can't find any information about what is new in Version 3. The screenshots look pretty much like my current version, 2.5. The FAQ is identical to Version 2.5's. And the online Help pages still have no images - all blank image placeholders - and it covers only up to Version 1.94, which makes it at least five years old. And what about an Upgrade policy for existing license holders? The FAQ states that there is a "significant discount" but I see no way to obtain an upgrade discount; only purchase at full price.

I think I might just stick with the current version here until something comes along that is more actively developed.

Thank you.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Heh, heh - nice, eh?! As far as I know, the major change is 64 bit compatibility, which is a big one for a lot of people. The other changes are minor (well, the core engine rewrite might be major, but I wouldn't know, not being a developer. I assume this affects the security of the application...):

March 22 2009
PS Tray Factory v3.0 released.
New in this version:
Implemented support of ALL Windows versions 32-bit and 64-bit (XP, Vista, Windows 7)
Core engine rewritten in more safe manner
The tray icon tips can be customized now
Reboot or logoff not required after setup anymore
PS Tray Factory tray icon can be shown in Tray Icons List now
Help system converted into Microsoft HTML Help (chm) format
and more...

Source: PS Tray Factory Homepage - under "Latest News". The only reason I knew that this had been released is that I set Check&Get to check the Latest News section years ago and finally got a hit this morning.

EDIT: corrected HTML
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:10 PM by Darwin »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 11:21 PM »
Hmm.. Tray icons can be customized now. Click on Properties and replace the icon with your own. What other customization could be needed? Color change? Most are the program's icon and I don't see changing the color of it as, well... never mind.

Thanks!

Jim

miki75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 02:20 PM »
If you want, there is another new alpha version of PSTF v3.1a available:

http://www.pssoftlab...nload/pstrayf31a.exe

This  version have possibility to switch  the  tray  menu  to  the  Windows 7 style tray bar (Options -
General  - System tray bar style). It is the experimental version, but looks like it works stable.

In my system (XP Pro SP3 32 bit Italian) work very good

Regards

Miki