topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Did EverNote Portable 2.2 ever come in a "Plus" version?  (Read 8489 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I used to use Evernote Plus.  Did the "Plus" version ever come in a portable version also?  Anyone remember?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 10:50 AM by superboyac »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Did EverNote 2.2 ever come in a "Plus" version?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:57 AM »
Yes, they did have Evernote Plus 2.2 for $49.95 back in October 2007. Don't know if there was a portable version though.

Jim

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:29 AM »
I seem to remember that the portable version was much more like the free version, missing most of the more advanced stuff, but it looks like its not for sale any more anyway.

a_lunatic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Fulltime Single Dad
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:44 AM »
If you purchased EverNote 2.2 Bundle it came with the portable version.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Did EverNote Portable 2.2 ever come in a "Plus" version?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Yes, they did have Evernote Plus 2.2 for $49.95 back in October 2007. Don't know if there was a portable version though.

Jim
Shoot, I titled this thread incorrectly.  Yes, I meant if the portable version also came in a PLus.  I had the regular Plus version.  I'm not a big fan of 3.0, but that's another discussion.  I'll keep using 2.2 until it breaks.

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 04:55 PM »
[This post goes a bit beyond the topic, but by coincidence, I just had to deal with EN 2.2 and the Portable Version.]

I bought the Evernote 2.2.1 bundle (Desktop/Portable) shortly before 2.x was discontinued (edit: more precisely, Dec, 2007).
By that time, there was no "Plus" version anymore, just a free and a registered version (maybe the free one had a demo period for the advanced features, can't remember). I got the registered version after purchase as a separate binary, no unlock key needed. The portable version had some features missing. IIRC, there never was a free portable version, nor a trial.

However, I must admit that I never really used either one (played with the desktop version for a while, never even installed the portable one). Until now, that is.
I'm not too thrilled with the concept of EN 3.x, but I needed a good notetaking tool, so I remembered this app.

While the desktop app works almost as intended (OCR in images doesn't work too well, but maybe that's only a problem with German, and the UniClipper floating window is missing on my machine), I had a bumpy trip when finally trying the portable version: When running the setup exe, I immediately got a virus alert from Comodo Antivirus (please don't ask): "Heur.Pck.MoleBox".  After uploading the setup file to VirusTotal, I got a total of 4 positives (out of 40; interestingly not from Comodo, this time), mostly also pointing to MoleBox (why do some AV developers have to come up with totally crappy virus/trojan names like "SuspiciousR-Mytob3" [eSafe] or even "Artemis!73589BAB276A" [McAfee's Artemis]?). I took these as false positives caused by the use of MoleBox (of which I only remotely understand what it does) and decided to continue.
Then, for whatever reason, the portable version wouldn't install on the stick when I tried it on my Tablet (Motion LS800, XP Tablet 2005 SP2). It installed on the stick when I tried it on another desktop machine. But then, again, it wouldn't run on the tablet. I have no idea why it refuses to run on exactly that machine. The desktop version does run on it.

FWIW, this is what the help file of my desktop version (2.2.1.386) says about the portable version:

"Limitations

Because of the registry-less nature of EverNote Portable, the current version has certain limitations, particularly in the way it interacts with other desktop applications:

1. It does not include EverNote Web and Email Clippers for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Outlook and Thunderbird. However, if EverNote Clippers are already installed on the computer where EverNote Portable is used, it will be able to use such installed Clippers. In general, EverNote Portable relies on the Universal Clipper to capture content from other applications, as explained above.
2. Links between notes and from external applications to notes are not supported in EverNote Portable.
3. The Windows TEMP directory is used in certain cases, so users must ensure that they have sufficient privileges to write into it.

Note: Synchronization, advanced digital ink features, and search in images are not available in the Portable version."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:00 PM by alxwz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, alxwz.  That makes it very clear.