Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 03:49:20 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: idea: FARR plugin school / tutorial / wiki  (Read 9025 times)
Nod5
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 22, 2009, 05:21:54 AM »

Both FARR and the Fscript javascript plugin system has come a long way. Many new commands and options have been added. It may be hard to get an overview of it all.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to run some sort of "FARR plugin school" or a tutorial that catches up and gives a systematic overview of the new features? Or maybe a wiki where such a tutorial can grow? I'm myself not very good at plugin making but I get the feeling that I could probably do some more and better stuff if I just had a better grasp of all the new cool features and how the various parts fit together so to speak.
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:18:46 AM »

Lanux128 pointed out that FSubScript is an improved version of the Fscript javascript plugin system for FARR. So it makes sense to focus on that.  Thmbsup But FSubScript adds another layer of complexity which makes the idea in this thread even more relevant.

I suggest these steps:

1. overview the forum sticky-ing concerning these program
- make some new sticky threads
- add/update some info to a few first posts in some sticky threads
2. start thinking of a some simple plugin that could be made into a good example to learn from.
3. make a thread/wiki/something that describe the construction of that simple plugin in a very detailed and very beginner friendly ways.

-------------------------------
regarding 1:

- make these two sticky, update the first post of each with links to the latest official FSubScript:

New FARR plugin : FSubScript enable loading of multiple javascript plugins
http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=15686.0

FSubScript Feature Requests
http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=16015.0

- update the first post of these already sticky threads with links the latest official FSubScript

FARR v2 PLUGIN CREATOR (SDK/API) INFO THREAD
http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=10105.0

FScript Javascript SDK - Write FARR plugins in javascript and more.
http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=12232.0

--------------------------
regarding 2:
I've some time thought about rewriting the experimental AlbumDisplayer plugin . With the new appcap command in FARR and the command-line support in Everything I think things are looking better than ever for that. But I also think that might not be a very good starting script since it would also involve and require Everything and a lot of HTML outputting. Can someone else give some other suggestions instead?  tellme One alternative would be to take some already existing plugin and rewrite/update it and make a tutorial for it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:26:27 AM by Nod5 » Logged
czb

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:40:43 AM »

Hi,
a few months ago I began writing some docs but I have not time to continue in that as I am quite busy at school right now. So for a function list and description of some of them can be found here:
http://czb.dcmembers.com/help/FARR
If anybody is interested in writing the docs I can provide login.

My open-source online piano game: http://musicope.com/
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »

Great - that is something to build on then! I don't have the FScript know-how to continue that writing work. But if someone else continues it then I will try to help out with questions, suggestions and discussion along the way. A link to your doc file would also be useful to add to the first post in the FSubScript thread.

Maybe I should for clarity also add that many of these issues (the idea of a plugin school, and so on) are of course very much up to Mouser to make the call on. I had this idea and threw it out there as a brainstorming thing, with all the best FARR-friendly intentions but I'm just a FARR user not a FARR decider Grin (that was of course no news to most reading this cheesy )
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:41:53 PM by Nod5 » Logged
ecaradec
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:08:10 AM »

I would be great to have a school that would really help to create more plugins IHMO. May be it does not have to be limited to FScript and FSubScript and it could support the developpement of C plugins too.
I'll second the idea of a wiki. This would make it easier to update a collaborative documentation.

There is also a FScript documentation available at : http://e.craft.free.fr/farr/FScript/help.html
Is also updated the FScript thread to explain clearly what FScript is and to point users to CZB fsubscript version if they want to build javascript plugins.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:14:23 AM by ecaradec » Logged

Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »

ecadarec: right, but I think it would make sense to make such a school as basic as possible at first. So FSubScript is a good place to start. I don't have much spare time at the moment but hopefully later this summer.
ecaradec
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 02:25:20 AM »

Could it be possible to get a farrplugindev.dcmembers or farrplugin.dcmembers space to put a wiki on it as a place for plugins dev to group information about tools, language and farr api ?

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »

absolutely.
i'll ask gothic to install DokuWiki, which i really like.

maybe a shorter subdomain name would be easier..  farrcoders.dcmembers.com or fcoders.dcmembers.com? farrapi.dcmembers.com?
hamradio
Charter Honorary Member

Amateur Radio Guy

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »

My opinion = farrapi.dcmembers.com might be great. Thmbsup

Carroll - HamRadioUSA
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »

Can't it be api.farr.dcmembers.com? (although that'd cause the creation of farr.dcmembers.com, which doesn't make much sense).
The appended farr* sounds really weird (even more than 'farr' itself tongue).

ecaradec
Honorary Member

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 04:23:13 AM »

Actually I'll be happy with any name... It is possible to create it ?

Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 09:49:33 AM »

Actually I'll be happy with any name... It is possible to create it ?

Me too  cheesy

TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 10:10:58 AM »

farrdev.dcmembers.com - easy to pronounce and allows for all kind of FARR development, i.e. not just limited to plugins, but possible alias wiki entries as well.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 04:58:25 PM »

i just went with http://farr.dcisv.com
because it was the shortest url.
TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 09:56:57 AM »

Maybe a stupid Q, but is the wiki intended to be limited to plugins or for aliases as well? I'd surely vote for it to cover aliases, since it's highly unlikely that I will ever be able to do more FARR programming than a couple of alias packs.
Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »

I wouldn't stop there either... why not include skins as well?

TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »

Yes, everything related to FARR, really  Thmbsup
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 01:05:40 AM »

please sign up at the wiki if you want to help edit it
sample page:
http://farr.dcisv.com/doku.php?id=farrplugins
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »

where are all you wiki lovers!!!
come help us fill in the farr plugins/aliases table please -- especially those of you who have written alias packs and plugins!
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 03:29:50 AM »

I'll sign up and add some stuff next week - sorry, no time at all ATM  embarassed Great that the wiki is up and ready to set in motion.
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 08:10:18 AM »

Sorry for the stupid question: is signing up supposed to be enough for actually being able to edit pages in the wiki?

Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »

Sorry for the stupid question: is signing up supposed to be enough for actually being able to edit pages in the wiki?

That worked for me ( after digging through my spam to find the email from the wiki with my password)

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 09:32:19 AM »

no -- i need to promote you to the Editor group before you can edit pages.  phitsc you have been promoted.
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 09:34:03 AM »

phitsc you have been promoted.

Hey, I think that's the first time I hear this in my entire career! Wink

Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »

no -- i need to promote you to the Editor group before you can edit pages.

Ah: Did that happen without me realizing?

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.052s | Server load: 0.19 ]