topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Software to capture onscreen video (not youtube)  (Read 5622 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Software to capture onscreen video (not youtube)
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Hi.  Does anyone know of software that can capture video shown on a website in a format other than the one used for YouTube?  Some TV websites, for example, allow you to watch episodes of programs, but I'd much rather be able to capture those episodes, put them on a DVD, and watch them on my DVD player while I use the treadmill.  I think I can probably convert the file to something I can put on a DVD, but the problem is to get the file onto my computer in the first place.   Is there software that can capture such video?  (Movie Extractor Scout can capture most YouTube videos, but I think not video in other formats.)

Thanks in advance.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software to capture onscreen video (not youtube)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:05 PM »
I don't know if you are using Firefox or not, but if so, I found the Unplug extension seems to work for most things.  I believe there is some software around here somewhere (URL Snooper) that should work as well, though I have never used it.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:03 PM »
Thanks, steeladept, for the suggestion.  I do use Firefox, though I'm trying to minimize the number of extensions I have.  I think I'd also prefer a program that wasn't browser-dependent.  It could be freeware, donationware, or shareware, as long as it's pretty straightforward and simple to use.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:29 PM »
You could try Grab++ (part of Orbit Downloader)

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:43 PM »
URLSnooper by mouser should help you (to get the url of the media), I've used it in conjunction with FlahGet which can download most streaming medias out of the box.

Cheers  /jerome

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Thanks very much, katykaty and jeromg, for these interesting suggestions.  Ideally, I'd like to have a single program that does what I want, rather than using URL Snooper in conjunction with FlashGet (neither of which I currently have).  However, ultimately what counts most is what works best.  I look forward to giving Grab++ and perhaps URL Snooper a try.  Again, thanks a lot for the suggestions.