topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Local backup like "Carbonite"  (Read 7956 times)

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Local backup like "Carbonite"
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:49 AM »
I have been having a look for a local backup solution that works like the online solutions like Carbonite; in other words it waits for idle time and then copies the files to a backup destination on an external drive or a network drive. I have had a look around on the site and I have used a few backup solutions in the past but don't seem to have come across anything.

Does anyone here use something similar or have a recommendation of something that I could try?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Local backup like "Carbonite"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:22 AM »
SyncbackSE profiles have a Priority option that can be set to Lowest or Idle.  I haven't use this option, so I don't know how much it'll help.

You can also set the profile to run when a change is detected in the backup source or to simply run every 30 minutes (or whatever).

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Hey,

My favorite backup solution is SuperFlexible File Synchronizer, I've been using it for years and I'm extremely happy with it. Tobias, the main developer keeps on improving it and responds quickly to email questions and support requests.
Superflexible can run backup jobs (one-way or full sync using intelligent file tracking) on different triggers (incl startup or shutdown), but unfortunately it can seem to run on idle time. It may be worth to give it a try and ask Tobias what his thoughts are...
I cannot recommend another piece of software more than SuperFlexible, to me it's the holy grail of backup and sync.

Cheers  /jerome

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Hi Folks,

Jerome, 3 things on SFFS (good to know that it is such an excellent program).

Would be nice to have an email or a web forum.  I know the developers have some valid reasons not to bother, but when they do (examples: Online Armor and now GFI Backup and FBackup and Syncback) the user experience can be greatly improved.

This is a bit on the pricey side $40 standard, $70 professional.  Thus we would look high and low for the DonationCoder or BitsDuJour discount.  Maybe you can mention to Tobias that there are discount realms that are designed for visibility and discussion rather than just penny-saving.

The name Synchronizer tends to make the user think the function is a bit different than backup (I gather it is backup and more - thus the name flexible :-) ).  Does this ever get discussed ?

Shalom,
Steven Avery

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:33 AM »
Hi Steven,

You can find all contact info here, including Tobias email address. It's a bit pricey, I'd agree, but I think it's well worth the money (imho). For info, I'm using it to backup my files on Amazon S3 (adding encryption), on my external hard drive and also to sync some files with my work laptop.

Cheers  /jerome
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:36 AM by jeromg »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:30 AM »
We had a discount here on SFFS at one point (that's how I picked up my licence). Even at full price, though, I'd consider it money well spent. It replaced Genie Backup Manager Pro 8 on my system.

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:53 AM »
I actually have a SFFS licence and one for SyncBackPro as well - which means I should look harder at what tools I already have!! In my defense I was without my PC at the time which also explains why I was taking the time to think about how I could improve my backup regime. I know I have it all but suddenly realised that it is not as accessible as I might like when reliant on a loan PC.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:29 AM »
OK, guys...

I've been using Genie Backup for a few years and haven't any complaints with it, but it looks like it's time to check out SFFS. Thanks for the mention.

Aloha
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.