ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

Feature Request: [easy] export/import settings for all apps

<< < (2/2)

superboyac:
I just tried this on a reinstall of Windows 7 and it's not working.  Here is what I did:
1) copied original program (x86) directories over to the new install
2) ran the installer for the programs from dcupdater
3) ran the programs for the first time.  They all show default states.  None of my original settings were retained.
4) I manually copied the configdir.ini over again, even though I already copied the whole directory in step 1.  Still, nothing changed.

Is there anything else I can try?  i swear I've done this before and it worked.

superboyac:
Looks like there are more settings here?
\Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot

Has your structure changed?

mouser:
On Win7 that's where the settings should be; so if you are moving from a winxp (or portable install) to win7 and want to preserve your settings, you would copy the settings ini files from the old program files directory to the new Documents\DonationCoder\APPNAME directory (and remove the old configdir.ini file if you manually copied it over and its trying to tell the app to save its settings in the win7 program files directory).

superboyac:
On Win7 that's where the settings should be; so if you are moving from a winxp (or portable install) to win7 and want to preserve your settings, you would copy the settings ini files from the old program files directory to the new Documents\DonationCoder\APPNAME directory (and remove the old configdir.ini file if you manually copied it over and its trying to tell the app to save its settings in the win7 program files directory).
-mouser (May 30, 2012, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ah!  Thank you.

mouser:
In general, with all my apps the migration strategy works like this:

* 1. Install the application on your new machine.
* 2. Run the program once to create the settings files in the right places.
* 3. Exit program and copy your old settings files over the new ones*.
* * On winXP your settings files will be in the same directory as the program; on Win7 your settings files will be in Documents\DonationCoder\APPNAME

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version