ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mozilla Contest: How Would You Improve Tabbed Browsing?

<< < (5/13) > >>

Ehtyar:
Indeed you have a point Fenix Man, I'm just ot a fan of an exclusively hover-based interface.

I don't think Mozilla "just realized" that tabs are not a complete solution, but I think they've come to the conclusion that they can't provide the solution themselves so they're provided the community with the opportunity to solve the problem.

People are so used to tabs now that if they opened a link in a new browser window it might seem like a revolutionary experience. :)
-MilesAhead (May 19, 2009, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
On this morning's episode of Buzz Out Loud, one of the presenters mentioned exactly that phenomenon. I do think though that Firefox needs a few additional mechanisms to handle Windows more effectively. For example, moving tabs more efficiently between windows, an alt-tab type mechanism for windows perhaps....

Ehtyar.

fenixproductions:
I do think though that Firefox needs a few additional mechanisms to handle Windows more effectively. For example, moving tabs more efficiently between windows, an alt-tab type mechanism for windows perhaps....-Ehtyar (May 19, 2009, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean working like Opera now?

It is possible in Opera to drag'n'drop tab into taskbar to create new browser instance with this tab only. You can go even further: drag tab from one window, Alt+Tab to 2nd (w/o releasing mouse button) and drop it there.

I can make a movie if you don't believe me ;)

Ehtyar:
I've no experience with the current version of Opera. I didn't necessarily mean those specific features, but there needs to be a few mechanisms added to Firefox to make managing multiple windows a little less basic IMO.

Ehtyar.

fenixproductions:
2Ehtyar
I agree with you on this part but there is one more thing: Mozilla needs to change their way of thinking.

They were relying too much on extensions, left too many basic features to them and now are suffering from draw back. Things like TabMixPlus or PasteGo should be rather offered as core functionality or at least given within some kind of "Firefox pack". If they do that at the beginning there would be less problems because it could force in users good habits of organizing things.

They made few bad decisions and now are trying to fix them. Or rather: trying to find someone to do it for them for "fame". I was always thinking: make something good first, extend it more later but Mozilla did it opposite way.

For me Firefox is piece of crap without any extensions installed. When it had came to live I needed 12 extensions to do almost the same stuff as Opera and I was just starting with O! Of course, many things changed, much more extensions are available now but F is still poor right after installation. I still think that extensions are great but, seriously, how many users spend their time to track all of them down? Adblock, NoScript - these are the most known ones. What about others which could help to solve "too much" problem? Users will know nothing about them without Mozilla forcing them but M prefers to advertise their hunting instead of browsing their own database.

As I've already wrote: it's mental problem.

Time to sleep now :)

Target:
can't help thinking that whatever they come up with will still only be a variation on the theme...

I also agree that there are a number of 'core extensions' whose functionality should be incorporated into the basic browser (either as core functionality or as a bundled xtn)

I suspect part of the reason no one uses some of the potentially useful ones is that there are so damn many of the things (and I for one can't be bothered trolling through several hundred 'social networking' extensions to find the handful of useful - ie non social networking - that I might be interested in). 

If they were only categorised better it would be much simpler...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version