ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In need of a server-side email tool ...

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
Long-shot, but (given they're POP accounts) have you considered using a scripted telnet session to recurse through and purge the boxes?

barney:
Yeah, that's a good idea.

Thunk of it, but to my misfortune, telnet not allowed.  Figures.  Long run, that'd be a pretty easy solution ... not that good at the requisite scripts, but could learn.  However, datsaoneadem, "You can't get there from here," propositions.  I'm partial to easy, but it just ain't allowed in this situation.

I've reverted to clearing out 5-10 mailboxes a day, but that's gonna take a looong time, and really isn't long-term feasible.  What's frustrating is that I know this can be done ... just don't know how.  Think it is that I just do not have a decent understanding as to how email works when down in the trenches ... hurts when you're so ignorant you don't even know where to look, ya know?

Up until now, I thought I was reasonably competent ... then I get my [another?] incompetenc{e|y} rubbed in my face <chortle />.

Stoic Joker:
 :huh: How can telnet not be allowed? I use it for troubleshooting mail servers all the time. You don't need to have the default telnet port 23 open on the target, you just telnet to port 110 (POP3) to initiate the session and then pretend to be an Email client by tossing commands back and forth with the server. The server will respond with coded prompts telling you exactly what it wants & when ... basically walking you through the process.

Do a google search on SMTP telnet access and you'll find a bunch of troubleshooting info on how to check your Email from a command prompt (e.g. telnet session).

Only thing to remember with telnet is any char typed (including backspace) is transmitted directly so any typos=instant failure, but scripting the session should get you past that. Sure there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's something you can easily leverage later in a big way.

barney:
Obviously, one of my incompetencies <sigh />.

I was remembering, not thinking.  There was a blurb ~ssh access that I mis-remembered and misconstrued.  Went back, re-read it ... nothing to do with Telnet.  So, it looks as though I'll be researching Telnet & email for the foreseeable near future.

Thanks for the swift kick ... I needed it <chortle />.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version