topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: VIP MIA?  (Read 4938 times)

jschall

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
VIP MIA?
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:59 AM »
 :huh:
VideoInPicture, aka Eric Wong, hasn't posted here since last December.
Has anyone heard from him since then? What are the possibilities of further development for Circle Dock?

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: VIP MIA?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Let's just say' I am holding my breath.

Some of VIP's final posts, list that he had personal issues to deal with.
I have been regularly forwarding email to him, but have yet to get any response.

I do not believe he has abandoned any of his projects.
I am hopeful that he will return soon.

Keep the faith, I am  :D

And welcome to the forum  :D

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:11 PM »
What are the possibilities of further development for Circle Dock?

It's open source, so you tell me  :)

jschall

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:51 AM »
@Dormouse: Gee, thanks for that insight.

@sgtevmckay: I'm glad somebody is TRYING to keep in touch with VIP. Thanks.

Eric Wong has stated that the next release should be a complete rewrite to untangle the spaghetti code, so I doubt if even an experienced programmer would be able to take over development of Circle Dock without some guidance from the originator. So it won't be as easy as the resuscitation of Rainmeter! At least Rainy was around to help the coding volunteers get started!

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Although a bit of floating subject here  :-\

Agreed.
Rainy's assistance has been invaluable, and the community that we have re-instituted has grown beyond my expectations. The volunteer coders that have come forward have been brilliant.  :-*
It is nice to communicate with folks from, literally, all over the world!
Be damned with the language barriers. Know that we are all doing the best we can.
Of course; poor Rainy had to deal with my whining, beyond the others that were requesting a resurrection.
Rainy has been great.
I am honored to be one of the architects of where Rainmeter is, and is headed.
I am also deeply grateful for all those that have come forward to help in any way they can.
I remember, no so long ago, thinking that there was no more than 20 of us, and that Rainmeter was going straight back to the grave, do to a lack of requests/support.
The forum has only been available for a short time, but we are about to hit 150 members real fast.
The support from the current members is great, and my thanks goes out to all that are working towards making Rainmeter #1 again.

Back to the software at hand:
I have peeked at the CircleDock code, and realize why it is still in "Alpha" form. I think that maybe even our beloved VIP may have hit a few walls, and this may also be part of the reason that we have seen nothing from him in the 5 months.

I will continue to attempt to communicate with Mr. Wong every so often ( I do not want to push), and I will continue to give my support to CircleDock as I am able (tough schedule between Rainmeter and CircleDock  8) ), and those that need assistance with CircleDock.

Believe it or not; I have yet to ever communicate with Mr. Wong. I came on-board here following his absence.
But I stayed around, worked with the software, and started reading. I also started believing in VIP's software. I found that he had found a great community to support his software.
Donationcoder.com!  :-*
I can not say enough, and I am trying to adapt as much as possible into the new Rainmeter forum. I have come across no other forum, to date, to match what has been done here at DC!
I also saw the questions that were being asked, and the other DC goers coming forward to help as they could, and for the first time. I realized all my years of IT and beta testing could go to direct use in assisting others.
So  I stayed! I stayed for the folks that believed in CircleDock. I stayed knowing, and seeing that I am making a difference. I stayed because of the support from the Donationcoder community that also supports me. I stay in the hopes of one day being able to communicate, and maybe directly assist VIP in his endeavors here.
I stay and help because it is how I can support this project which I believe in  :Thmbsup:

CircleDock has an excellent following.
My deepest fear here is that VIP may be away for so long that CircleDock will lose the momentum that sites like LifeHacker, PCMag, CNet, ZDNet, and many others have created.

So Long as I am able I will do what I can to keep this project's support going, and I know that VIP will return one day. I firmly believe this, and will continue to, until I am told otherwise

And to Mouser (Whom I know gets to all posts sooner or later:

I got my cup, and I am doing a lot better; miraculously   :D
I can sing :D
I can Dance .......ooh, ooh........Oi...........! 
Well maybe the dance part is still unavailable at this time, but I am getting there.  :D
Thanks to all the DC goers that have been supporting my recovery  :Thmbsup: