ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Gnu grep how can I get colored output in ms concole?

<< < (2/2)

rjbull:
Being a DOS application/device driver, ANSIPLUS doesn't sound like something that'll work (properly) with NT-based operating systems?
-f0dder (May 18, 2009, 01:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

ANSIPLUS and Windows
Users of Windows 98, 95, 3.1 or NT 4 should consider using ANSIPLUS as well. The ANSIPLUS driver works well under Windows, and because ANSIPLUS is a CON device driver, local copies of it are included in each Windows virtual DOS machine. This means that all the ANSIPLUS internal state variables, and those of its integrated console features, will be local to each virtual machine, so there is no way they can interfere with each other. This section discusses how to work around the specific limitations imposed on ANSIPLUS DOS sessions by Windows or by Windows in combination with other software.

The following topics are covered here: Loading options, Full screen vs. windowed DOS sessions, Copy and paste, Scroll-back, Color palettes, Beep tone, International usage, and Windows NT.
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
Being a DOS application/device driver, ANSIPLUS doesn't sound like something that'll work (properly) with NT-based operating systems?
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

'sides, I'm fairly certain if you use Win32 Gnu bash stuff all that Linux color output will work.  It's not that big a deal to set it up. It's just it's been a couple of years so I'm not sure which LinuxOnWindows type site is the one to go with.  My memory lags. :)

f0dder:
rjbull: I only have 64bit installs of Windows atm, so I can't test it - but my guess is that for NT it's only going to affect the current (ie, not all cmd.exe instances), and either won't work for win32 console applications or is going to slow down console output tremendously - will probably work for 16bit dos applications, but possibly also involving slowdown.

Anyway, the best option would be getting tools that natively support the win32 console API (or a shell that supports ANSI colors...), instead of resorting to hacks. Too bad the UnxUtils project is dead, so you're probably stuck with the cygwin (bleargh!) based gnuwin32 :(

MilesAhead:
I cannot seem to get colored output from Gnu Grep. I tried the color option maybe standard ms console does not support such thing. Does anyone know a solution?

-kartal (May 15, 2009, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Depending what you are doing, you may find this useful:

http://betterthangrep.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version