ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Flight simulator site avsim.com loses 13 years of community data to hacker

<< < (2/4) > >>

lanux128:
this is truly awful.. 13 years is an eternity in the internet. :sick:

40hz:
Backup strategies aside, I think it's still important to remember that this loss was not caused by technical problems or lack of offline backups. It was caused by a malicious individual (or individuals) who consciously decided to destroy something of value for no justifiable reason.

This was not a hack or an exploit. This was an act of criminal vandalism.

It's especially sad because this site was probably a "soft target" from a hacker's perspective, and therefor won't garner much by way of "bragging rights" in those circles where crashing a server is viewed as a form of entertainment.

Very sad story.

I would be nice if all the real hackers out there got together and hunted down the parties responsible.

rgdot:
A few weeks ago webhostingtalk was affected where, as far as I know, all backups were deleted as well. There aren't that many bigger collection of web pros than webhostingtalk. So if they can be victims then who knows who is safe. Offline backups must be part of the strategy for any data that is remotely important.

nosh:
Not to make light of stuff but by some bizarre coincidence...
*fade in twilight zone music*

phitsc:
Makes me wonder how you guys back up your private projects (or data in general). I've got some of my projects on a public source hosting server. So if that server was hacked (or burned down or whatever) all I would have left is my local copy of the source files on my laptop. I've got some other projects on my NAS only, which I backup onto a second NAS sitting right next to the first. The local copy is on a notebook right next to the two NASes. So if all of the three got stolen, I would have nothing. Although the backup strategy could be better I feel reasonably secure.

I wonder how other people ensure the safety of their private data.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version