topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for a newsgroup news reader  (Read 19451 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a newsgroup news reader
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 09:20 PM »
For downloading multiple binary files, I like XNews, but for browsing and reading newsgroups, I have yet to find anything that compares to MicroPlanet Gravity, once a commercial app, but now open-source and free.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Wow! It's been quite awhile since I tried Gravity.  Totally forgot about it.  Nice free reader for text groups. For what it's worth I just set it up on Vista64 and it seems to work fine. Also
W7 32 bit no problem I can see so far. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:41 PM by MilesAhead »

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31 AM »
TBird for mail and Xnews for everything else. Not pretty, true, but very flexible and highly configurable. (Especially for newsgroups with high noise levels.)

2 penny Ron
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 02:39 PM »
I use Pan, the philosophy and interface is very like XNews.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Pan's authors said they got a lot of their inspiration from XNews.

The only problem with Pan I've ever encountered is its unfortunate tendency to lock-up if you don't limit the number of headers you allow it to retrieve on each fetch cycle.

When I go into a new newsgroup, I usually just let XNews grab all the headers. And  I've done this in groups that have 100K+ of them. It might take XNews a while to pull them down, but I usually grab some coffee or play with the dog a bit, so it's not like it's that big a deal for me to wait every so often.

Pan, on the other hand, seems to crap out around the 40-60K header mark - even when it's running on the same hardware (I swap drives to switch between Linux and Windows ) as XNews.

Not a showstopper for Pan - but it makes me think when I'm going back and forth between OSs, so I'm not all that happy about it. Otherwise, Pan is as good as it gets on Linux. At least IMHO.