topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for a newsgroup news reader  (Read 19455 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for a newsgroup news reader
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:45 PM »
Hi

I am looking for a standalone newsreader that can download, search etc. I use thunderbird for basic needs but I was wondering what the other solutions are out there.

I am interested in hearing from people who actually use these softwares :) (google is not my friend)

thanks

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a newsgroup news reader
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:54 PM »
I haven't been very active recently on text newsgroups.  I used to like Agent Newsreader but for text based groups there may be something better by now.

For a Windows binary newsreader I recommend Usenet Explorer.  It has built-in automatic par and unrar handling.  Also the author supplies free access to his search server, unlike some other readers that charge subscription.  When you register it says for $35 you get 18 months of upgrades and search server access.  I've been using it for years and he's never cut off the upgrades or server access.  The 18 months is sort of like the minimum that's guaranteed.

Also the user forum is responsive and you don't get chopped at the knees just for asking a question that might seem a bit obvious to long-time users.

http://www.netwu.com/ue/

Edit: Just fyi it just so happend that my license ran out yesterday.  So I guess the 18 months is enforced.  Seemed like I owned it longer than that.  Anyway, $35 for 18 months updates and search subscription is pretty cheap if you're into binary download.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:18 AM by MilesAhead »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:06 PM »
There are several threads discussing usenet newsreaders on the forum:
https://www.donation...arch2;search=Newsbin+

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:18 PM »
thanks mouser. I did search the forum but they look rather couple years old. I guess want the latest and the best :) I will check them out though, some stuff is timeless sometimes :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I still use Luu Tran's marvelous XNews. :Thmbsup:

Link: http://xnews.newsguy.com/

It won't win any beauty pageants. And it hasn't been updated in years. But it's simple to use, has excellent binary file support, does everything I want it to - and (more importantly) nothing I don't.

These days, I really can appreciate software like that.

I've tried all the big names out there: Forte Agent, Plucker, NewsGator, SharReader - and Pan and Liferea on Linux. But I always keep coming back to Xnews.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:29 PM by 40hz »

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I have used Newsleecher for years.  His supersearch has 370 days retention, and for $29.99 a year you get ALL upgrades and access to the supersearch.  The program is the most logical and best I have ever used. http://www.newsleecher.com

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I remember using ForteAgent couple years ago but I had abandoned it because of lack of multiple servers support. I've started using 40tude Dialog and must say that even if it was not updated since 2005, I can't simply leave it :)

Two reasons behind:
- habits,
- big history - few years ago Google removed pretty big part of their nntp archives and it is impossible now to get some messages back (other servers don't have them either).

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Thanks for suggestions guys I will try the paid ones.
fenixproductions, I 40tude  actually started using  couple hours ago, and it looks pretty good indeed.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:12 PM »
I would like to hear from Google lovers about this particular issue

- big history - few years ago Google removed pretty big part of their nntp archives and it is impossible now to get some messages back (other servers don't have them either).
-fenixproductions (May 14, 2009, 07:01 PM)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:31 PM »
2kartal
I recommend to check 40tude scripts :)

Little bit more about "Google removal":
I am only sure that they decided to remove "older" threads for some Polish groups. I don't know about other languages.
First I thought it's just the case of "privacy problems" but it couldn't explain whole threads disappearing.

Privacy problems were second thing which bothered me. Many people were against archiving their messages (mostly agressive ones) by Google and called that "privacy violation". In my opinion: it was stupid and I would never delete any message if I wear Google's boots.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Privacy problems were second thing which bothered me. Many people were against archiving their messages (mostly agressive ones) by Google and called that "privacy violation". In my opinion: it was stupid and I would never delete any message if I wear Google's boots.
-fenixproductions (May 14, 2009, 07:31 PM)

You have to wonder where these people were when Dejanews was archiving all the text newsgroups then.........before they were taken over by Google.

All they've got to do is put the following in the header and hope the archive honours it:

x-no-archive: yes

Something of which I'm sure the Google-phobes do already, although it won't be deleted until 6 days later.

Or they could just not post.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16 PM »
Or they could just not post.
-4wd
I agree with that.

If you want to badmouth someone in public then you have no right to call it "privacy violation" when it's still on web. If you don't like it… take a deep breath and think about yourself.

When I had heard that first time I wondered when criminals will sue police because of destroying their "good image" on arrest warrants ;)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:34 PM »
thanks fenixproductions

Which news server is good nowadays for checking back archieves or new posts? I do not do binaries or other stuff, I just want to be able check out some culture, computer, news ,language related stuff maybe.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:05 PM by kartal »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Which news server is good nowadays for checking back archieves or new posts? I do do binaries or other stuff, I just want to be able check out some culture, computer, news ,language related stuff maybe.

I use Astraweb. Currently providing 270 days retention - and also in the process of going to a fulll 365!

Plans are available at different price points.

Link: http://www.news.astraweb.com/index.html

If you're not downloading a lot of binaries, one of their less expensive "Pay by Download" plans would be your best option.

The Pay-by-Download plans are designed to give you the freedom to use Usenet when you want, as you want. There are no fixed monthly terms, just pay as you download. The Pay-by-Download plans include:

- No time limits
- No censoring
- No monitoring
- No posting limits
- No expiry date on your credits
- Maximum 50 simultaneous connections
- Headers are not counted towards your downloads

$10/25GB or $25/120GB of total downloads (with no expiry date) should last you close to forever. Especially if you are primarily interested in reading posts and aren't in the habit of grabbing files you probably shouldn't be downloading anyway.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:06 PM by 40hz »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:05 PM »
40hz, sorry for typo in my message! I was trying to say that I do not do binary-download stuff :) I am sorry about it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Not a problem. I guessed that was what you meant. :)

In that case, Astraweb's pay-by-download plans are definitely the most economical.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 10:17 PM »
The thing is that it is hard to tell what kind of groups they run and the level of activity. I am sure there are all kinds but is this a private or connected to other usenet groups as well?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 10:41 PM »
The thing is that it is hard to tell what kind of groups they run and the level of activity. I am sure there are all kinds but is this a private or connected to other usenet groups as well?

If you go to the homepage, there's a link to the complete list of groups they carry There's also a search box to check for specific groups if you know the name.

Astraweb is a private company that provides individuals with access to Usenet news groups. AFAIK they are not connected with any specific Usenet group or affiliated with any other newsgroup provider.

Posting activity will vary depending on the group itself. Astraweb has no control or influence over that. But postings to active groups show up almost immediately on Astraweb's servers as far as I can determine. If I refresh the headers in my newsreader while I'm in a very active group, I'll almost always see several additional new posts each time I hit the button. And any time I've posted, I've seen my header show up in the group within a few minutes.

(Too bad Astraweb doesn't offer a free 14-day trial like Giganews.com does. :) )

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:43 PM by 40hz »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:43 PM »
40hz, sorry I did not see the search button right in the middle. I am little flaky regarding checking out sources nowadasy because of the tasks I need to finish. But thanks for upfront information I will definetely check it out. It might fit my needs.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 10:44 PM »
I am little flaky regarding checking out sources nowadasy because of the tasks I need to finish.

Boy do I know that feeling. Try to get some rest. Ciao! :Thmbsup:

rhuppert

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 12:07 PM »
I've been extremely happy with Xananews for years.  Clean and configurable.  Written in Delphi and free, BTW. 
Also has server product, I believe.

http://www.wilsonc.d...n.co.uk/xananews.htm

e712

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 12:08 PM »
I still use Luu Tran's marvelous XNews. :Thmbsup:

[ ... snip ...]

I've tried all the big names out there: Forte Agent, Plucker, NewsGator, SharReader - and Pan and Liferea on Linux. But I always keep coming back to Xnews.

Me too.  I am a light user of newsgroups, I did a $40 bulk buy on BuzzardNews five years ago and I still haven't used it up.  Once you get used to an interface, its hard to change.  Xnews permits you to map any keys you use with Thunderbird into the eqivalent Xnews action, that may be a plus for you.  On linux I use Pan, the philosophy and interface is very like XNews. 

wyrwolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile
    • banner page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 12:33 PM »
XNews is the one & only for me
simple, straight-forward, easy, ... works
It is what it is.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 08:49 PM »
For downloading multiple binary files, I like XNews, but for browsing and reading newsgroups, I have yet to find anything that compares to MicroPlanet Gravity, once a commercial app, but now open-source and free.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Actually http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/ was the first one I tried and I could not get it work :( It was connecting to any news server at all. No idea.

For downloading multiple binary files, I like XNews, but for browsing and reading newsgroups, I have yet to find anything that compares to MicroPlanet Gravity, once a commercial app, but now open-source and free.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/