Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 21, 2014, 02:53:28 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: whats that smell???  (Read 6052 times)
Dell[a]
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:14:39 AM »

This will make you think twice before putting your lunch in the fridge.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090513/ap_on_fe_st/odd_rotten_office_food
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:16:42 AM »

I think, just the fact that the person cleaning the fridge wasn't affected; probably means that a lot of people were overreacting :p
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:23:47 AM »

If you watch the vid Goth Man, she recently had nasal surgery and can't smell anything.

Ehtyar.
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:36:29 AM »

Reminds me of a story about somebody who got sick at a sports event in the stadium, and they announced that they thought it was food poisoning from some food or beverage they purchased at the stadium.

Then tons of people also got sick.

Then they announced that all the food and beverages were fine (no botulism) and all the people who thought they were sick suddenly were better. It was the placebo effect. People thought they were sick because they ate food they thought became bad. When they learned the food was okay and they had no reason to be sick, they suddenly "healed" and were fine.

Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:44:21 AM »

If you watch the vid Goth Man, she recently had nasal surgery and can't smell anything.

So? She still inhales, doesn't she?
If it were truly chemicals or spores or whatever (ie, something truly harmful), then she would also be affected.
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:24 AM »

So? She still inhales, doesn't she?
If it were truly chemicals or spores or whatever (ie, something truly harmful), then she would also be affected.

I've inhaled unpleasant odors before, that were chemically safe to inhale, but the smell was so disgusting that it made me nauseated.

Dell[a]
Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:55:24 AM »

yeah, me too.

But I think he was looking at it differently

there are lots of smells that make me feel sick.... or give me headache
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:59:42 AM »

the video kind of hinted that what made people sick was that people inhaled a cleaning spray that wasn't meant to be inhaled.
Dell[a]
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 01:03:30 AM »

if that was the case, then how comes the lady that cleaned the fridge was not affected by it?
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 01:14:53 AM »

the video kind of hinted that what made people sick was that people inhaled a cleaning spray that wasn't meant to be inhaled.

True. Which makes this (and what Gothic said) a very good point:

if that was the case, then how comes the lady that cleaned the fridge was not affected by it?

However, even in the case of deodorant sprays, I've had some that were so disgusting smelling that, combined with whatever scent the spray is trying to cover up, it just makes it worse and I do feel sick. Though never to the point of vomiting.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 01:58:33 AM »

Since she was the one cleaning, perhaps she wore a mask? Dunno smiley

- carpe noctem
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 05:07:24 AM »

the fireman said "Someone" sprayed what they thought was air freshener but turned out to be a "spot cleaner" which caused a couple dozen people to be really sick.

I read an article somewhere talking about smells and how we react to them - it was fairly straight forward:
if you smell something really horrible the message the brain gets can induce fairly heavy nausea etc. The idea being to make you get away from the offending smelling stuff so as you dont get really sick from it.
The cleaner didnt feel sick because she couldnt smell . .

Tom
bob99
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »

I think, just the fact that the person cleaning the fridge wasn't affected; probably means that a lot of people were overreacting :p

some people are affected by smells differently than others.  That's why I get to clean the cat box
or could be documenting they were affected in the event a liability lawsuit comes out of it.  Easy way to make some money.
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »

or could be documenting they were affected in the event a liability lawsuit comes out of it.  Easy way to make some money.

Most plausible thing I heard so far cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.2 ]