ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EC wants software makers held liable for code [Update]

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
Who lets these people be in charge of things they know nothing about? How did the world get this way?-Deozaan (May 13, 2009, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's called democracy, baby.

Capitalism has made it this way - good old-fashioned fascism will take it away!
* f0dder ducks and covers.

tomos:
* f0dder ducks and covers.
-f0dder (May 14, 2009, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
f0dder for leader :) lol

40hz:
Who lets these people be in charge of things they know nothing about? How did the world get this way?-Deozaan (May 13, 2009, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's called democracy, baby.

* f0dder ducks and covers.-f0dder (May 14, 2009, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I forget who once said that the United States was a country founded on the principle that it was far better to ruled by a hundred idiots than one mad king.

I guess the EU just had to try it out for themselves to see if it was true. ;D

*40hz pulls f0dder out of his foxhole, and after dodging a few stray bullets, takes him out for a drink.  :up:

However, I am going to play devil's advocate and say that Ehtyar's assertion that open source and free software must be held to a different standard is something that can't last forever, just putting a text file saying this software is "as is" is not just ok. Don't expect that kind of a thing to be workable/acceptable in 10 or 20 years time.
-rgdot (May 13, 2009, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

If somebody is going to held completely accountable for every possible consequence of anything they do, then the only intelligent response to such unlimited risk is to do nothing at all.

Perhaps we'll all soon reach the conclusion that the computer Joshua did in the film War Games:

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

8)

tomos:
continuing off-topic (with apologies)
Dilbert's And Thus Ended Capitalism

Eóin:
I remember hearing a well argued case (but don't have original source) which suggested companies face fines in cases were very dodgy software leads to serious loss of money. Say an OS being compromised or a backup solution failing. Of course was intended exclusively for the big companies. I.e. in paying money you deserve some guarantees.

Anyway the great thing about Europe, is that usually two idiots won't get anywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version