topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: deploying windows sound themes (XP, specifically)  (Read 4762 times)

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
deploying windows sound themes (XP, specifically)
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Hi all. Using the fun little freeware video game sound generator sfxr, I've created my own little sound theme for Windows XP. I'd like to be able to be able to offer the sound theme to others for easy installation, but the only apparent way to do this is to provide the individual .wav files and leave it up to the user to manually add them using the Sounds and Audio Settings control panel applet, which is a bit of a trial.

I would also use this method personally to switch between different sound themes on my own machine, as well as deploy on my personal Windows machines here at home. It would be really convenient.

Is there a way to deploy an executable or .inf file that will automatically assign .wav files for Windows event sounds? The solution should be standalone, not relying upon installing other software just to get a sound theme. I know this is possible because back in the Windows '95 days, Microsoft offered a handful of sound themes like Robotz and Utopia that would install via a .inf file.

Thanks.

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: deploying windows sound themes (XP, specifically)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:55 PM »
It's not free and who ever wants to use your package has to have it, but StarDock's SoundPackager will do what you want.
Happiness is laced with shards of pain

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: deploying windows sound themes (XP, specifically)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:18 AM »
It's the right idea, and I don't mind paying for good software... but... leave it to Stardock to charge too much for something that's incredibly simple and should be free, and then make the distribution packages reliant on the original software for installation. Unfortunately, for this to be worth the effort, it should support standalone distribution.