ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (85/99) > >>

J-Mac:
J-Mac: he's definitely their propagandist, but at least he's not trying to hide it - and that's something to give credit for.
-f0dder (April 09, 2011, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Strongly agree w/f0dder on that point. As long as the business affiliation is announced up front, I have no problem with somebody being a paid supporter as long as there's no agenda to deceive. Most of us need to work for a living. And getting paid to 'evangelize' a piece of tech is a common and accepted practice anyway. No point singling out any one company or individual for doing that.

-40hz (April 09, 2011, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not singling him out; he's done that for himself! I'm just saying that I have not seen this kind of paid supporter appearing all over the web in any other program that I use. I personally only see this in what I would call "controversial" apps or devices. Maybe you or others have seen differently.

Thanks!

Jim

wraith808:
J-Mac: he's definitely their propagandist, but at least he's not trying to hide it - and that's something to give credit for.
-f0dder (April 09, 2011, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Strongly agree w/f0dder on that point. As long as the business affiliation is announced up front, I have no problem with somebody being a paid supporter as long as there's no agenda to deceive. Most of us need to work for a living. And getting paid to 'evangelize' a piece of tech is a common and accepted practice anyway. No point singling out any one company or individual for doing that.

--- End quote ---

I'm not singling him out; he's done that for himself! I'm just saying that I have not seen this kind of paid supporter appearing all over the web in any other program that I use. I personally only see this in what I would call "controversial" apps or devices. Maybe you or others have seen differently.
-J-Mac (April 09, 2011, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

For better or worse... PhraseExpress is an example of a company that does aggressive marketing through a rep and proxies.

40hz:
@J-Mac

I wasn't criticizing you for being suspicious. I certainly was suspicious when I first noticed that as well. I was just agreeing with f0dder that in this particular instance, DrApps was forthcoming about the fact he was an employee of OC - which goes a long way to reducing the worry someone's trying to 'turf the forum.

In the case of OC, I think we're seeing more of them on forums brcause they have made a commitment in money and people to be seen there.

Amazing what startup capital can do to get the word out and tell your side of the story.
 :)

wraith808:
I personally think they should hire Renegade in some capacity. He's done more to build a convincing case for OC (despite the fact I personally don't like how OC implements itself) than some of the official communiqués ever did. He also speaks to the concerns of developers and software geeks. And, being a developer himself, on their level.

Hey DrApps! Maybe you folks should consider hiring this guy in some capacity?

Seriously.
 8)

--- End quote ---

Agreed +1.  :Thmbsup:

movrshakr:
This is ever so simple...

Does it install ANYTHING (part of itself or whatever it is "offering" or anything else) without user choice to deny?

Does it send ANY info "home to mama" without a user choice to deny same.

Is user option to NOT do either of the above presented clearly and obviously BEFORE it is done?

If the answers to those are other than NO, NO, YES, then OpenCandy is undeniably evil.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/controversial-advertising-program-now-being-embedded-more-software.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version