ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (83/99) > >>

Renegade:
Here's some good information from DrApps:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/controversial-advertising-program-now-being-embedded-more-software.htm#comment-69790

OpenCandy does indeed want to make sure that we don't recommend something that someone already has installed. However, OpenCandy does *NOT* scan your computer and catalog all the programs you have installed (a very common misconception for some reason). What the OpenCandy installer plug-in does do is use what we call "validation code" to determine whether a recommendation a developer has chosen is valid for a given computer. As an example, someone without Outlook installed wouldn't benefit from an Outlook plugin. So if a developer has chosen to recommend an Outlook plugin, an XML-based file of "validation code" is sent to the user's computer. The OpenCandy plug-in (running locally) checks the "validation code" to see if Outlook is installed and if so, the OpenCandy plug-in sends our server a binary "yes" in order for the graphics and messaging for the recommendation screen to be sent to the user's computer to be displayed during the publisher's installation process.
--- End quote ---

That's some of the internal processes of the OpenCandy DLL.

It should clear up some concerns for some people.

mahesh2k:
I Just tried to dig more into their offers. They're basically secondary tier like OC installing the same CPI/CPA offers and luring publishers on lower rate. If publisher approaches directly using their product to a better network then i'm sure the rate of downloads will be much better. Only thing is that it's hard to get accepted into such big networks because - 1) they're so hyped and their affiliate managers treat small publishers like beggars or useless fly 2) they want bigger fish. So getting a secondary tier network(like OC) is the only option for small publishers me thinks.

I'm sure owners of utorrent, k-lite media codec, sharkcodec earn more from such downloads than REAL donations(if they exist).

f0dder:
Holy Murphy! From 21media:

What do you pay for?

We pay for a unique installation of our EXE-file on a user's computer. By registering in our affiliate program, you receive an EXE-file associated with your ID in our system. We can track the unique installations of this EXE-file on user's computers. The payment for each installation is made according to the rates of the chosen program. The installed EXE-file is safe for users, its activity does not harm users and their computers and it does not violate any law of any country.

How do I start working with your affiliate program?

You need to register and then you'll get a unique EXE-file that you can install by any means except SPAM.
--- End quote ---

That's the kind of program that's perfect for bundling with warez and cracks.-Renegade (April 09, 2011, 04:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
I doubt you'd ever see that kind of thing included with warez, though. "Hi feds, here's a money trail to follow back to us" - sounds smart to you? :)

Here's some good information from DrApps:

*SNIP*
*SNIP* However, OpenCandy does *NOT* scan your computer and catalog all the programs you have installed (a very common misconception for some reason). *SNIP* The OpenCandy plug-in (running locally) checks the "validation code" to see if Outlook is installed and if so, the OpenCandy plug-in sends our server a binary "yes" in order for the graphics and messaging for the recommendation screen to be sent to the user's computer to be displayed during the publisher's installation process.
--- End quote ---
-Renegade (April 09, 2011, 05:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Snipped the quote down a bit, and added italic emphasis. So, while OC doesn't a full list of software installed on your computer (good - let's hope that lasts), they do in effect get to know whether any of the software in their programme is installed. Better, but still not perfect.

J-Mac:
My only concern is Dr. Apps. Back when this thread first started I searched for "OpenCandy" trying to find out more about it. The 4 or 5 search results I visited all were postsd by Dr. Apps seemingly smoothing over people's concerns, as he did here when he first showed up on DC. So I searched for Dr. Apps + OpenCandy and found a whole lot of the same. Harmless I guess, but it looks, smells, and feels a lot like the astroturfing that I see with certain other products, like MagicJack. As soon as a thread or blog discussion starts somewhere and mentions their product suddenly someone shows up to sing its praises.

Oddly I have never found this to be the case with normal apps that aren't doing anything that people deem suspicious; only with suspect apps.

(Plus that creepy smile on his avatar bugs me!!  ;D  )

Thanks!

Jim

f0dder:
J-Mac: he's definitely their propagandist, but at least he's not trying to hide it - and that's something to give credit for.

Oddly I have never found this to be the case with normal apps that aren't doing anything that people deem suspicious; only with suspect apps.

(Plus that creepy smile on his avatar bugs me!!  ;D  )-J-Mac (April 09, 2011, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
You and me both, man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version