ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (73/99) > >>

PhilB66:
Nitpicking? No, absolutely not. The obsession with spyware terminology, however, is a deviation from the real issue here. Fact is that OC is an Ad serving platform that also tracks your usage of software, monitors your actions and report this information back home. Arguing that others (Google, Adobe, Java, ....) do similar stuff does not (and should not) approve OC. Targeting the 'happy click next' ignorant crowd is not okay. What it actually does is setting a precedence for the rest of us who do think before clicking yes, read the EULA, etc. Next thing you hear, but everyone is using google, everyone is on FB... every installer is powered by OC (well, they wish).... got it?

The comment about Sweet IM illustrates another issue I have with OC, developers have no control about what OC promotes and they do not care about the end user and would recommend anything that pays well. User satisfaction my arxx ... >:(

wraith808:
^ Actually, from what Renegade said in his post, developers *do* have some control.  At least, that's the impression that I got from his post.  And from what I've seen of the statistics available, it doesn't track your software usage.

Renegade:
Nitpicking? No, absolutely not. The obsession with spyware terminology, however, is a deviation from the real issue here. Fact is that OC is an Ad serving platform that also tracks your usage of software, monitors your actions and report this information back home.
-PhilB66 (April 03, 2011, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

HTTP is stateless. As such you need an ID for transactions. Without that, it would be like a restaurant taking orders, but then randomly delivering orders to people. Hey, I ordered the chicken, not a beer!

I've outlined exactly what information is tracked, and app103 posted more above.

You make that sound like the end of the world. Of course information needs to be tracked. app103's nitpicking about time spent on a screen is over the top. It's a usability metric to ensure a decent user experience.

But none of the information is anything outside of the installer itself, and none of the information is personally identifying.

You are effectively complaining about the fact that HTTP is stateless and that you don't like usability metrics.

And yes, what other companies do is relevant. They're doing a LOT more than what OC does, but somehow some people here have no problem with that.

Targeting the 'happy click next' ignorant crowd is not okay.
--- End quote ---

Ahem... Look at the installer screenshot that you uploaded. You cannot just click next. You MUST explicitly accept or decline the offer. Again, a baseless accusation with clear evidence to the contrary.

I'm quite frankly disappointed at being accused of something that I am not doing, especially when the evidence is posted by someone else and proves that I'm not doing what I'm being accused of.

The comment about Sweet IM illustrates another issue I have with OC, developers have no control about what OC promotes
--- End quote ---

You can enable or disable offers in the OC control panel. So, yes, developers DO have control.

What the hell is OpenCandy?

You are making wild accusations that are flat out false. You're just making up "facts" as you go without any knowledge of what is actually happening.

they (developers) do not care about the end user and would recommend anything that pays well. User satisfaction my arxx ... >:(
--- End quote ---

I looked at the available offers, and I don't see anything that I don't think wouldn't be useful to some people.

Do I recommend software that I don't use (outside of OpenCandy)? Yes. Because some people have different needs. I wouldn't recommend Photoshop to someone that barely knows how to turn on a computer, but I use Photoshop.

People have different needs and different software works better or worse in the hands of different people.

So I have no problems with the recommendation in OpenCandy.

Does OpenCandy perfectly recommend the software that each person is going to want/need? Hell no! That would require a massive amount of personal information about the person, which they don't have.

So your getting a recommendation for SweetIM and complaining about it only means that you don't like SweetIM. That's fine. Other people do.

I had someone ask me about getting an HTC Android phone or an iPhone. I gave the pros and cons for both and explained my bias. iPhones are great for some people. But it depends on what you are looking for. I'm not looking to get locked into a dictatorially controlled ecosystem, so I don't have an iPhone.

I wish that people would stop making wild, false accusations that there is clear evidence against. It's disingenuous and insulting.

cmpm:
This about enough about Renegade's program and choices.

I thought it was about OC, now it's getting personal.
And could get worse.

Renegade offered info that he did not have to share.
And looked deeper into it because of these other posts.
There is no need to pick out his program and choices to take on OC.

WTF, he is a DC'er and been around a while.
Get off it. Lock this damn thread. Please.

----

About OC, perhaps not seeing what a developer picked to offer,
it has alternatives. I don't know, ask OC, that's just a guess.

f0dder:
Ahem... Look at the installer screenshot that you uploaded. You cannot just click next. You MUST explicitly accept or decline the offer. Again, a baseless accusation with clear evidence to the contrary.-Renegade (April 03, 2011, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is a nice thing about OpenCandy, and I do hope they won't change away from that practice. But before you get to that screen, OpenCandy has run - and it's contacted the mothership, right? So you're not getting a chance to avoid that, except for... clicking through... the EULA :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version