ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (43/99) > >>

40hz:

I never had ads on any of the sites I run/ran (excpet for a brief run at http://renegademinds.com/ on a few pages that I removed). I hate ads. But, putting food on the table and paying bills in more important than my loathing of ads.
-Renegade (March 09, 2011, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Understand.

I've switched careers twice because being responsible and paying back money I owed was more important to me than doing what I really wanted to do.

In my case, I compromised by doing something I was good at (and didn't mind doing) which paid well - instead of something I was really good at (and that I very much wanted to do) which didn't.

Too bad I couldn't get people to pay me enough, soon enough, to do what I wanted to do with my life. C'est la vie. ;D

I'll find a way to get back to it some day.  :-*

Or not.

No complaints. No regrets.

Onward! :Thmbsup:

app103:
Good op-ed piece which includes an eye-opening list of major apps known to include OpenCandy. Link here.

-40hz (March 09, 2011, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

That my blog.  :D

Well 40hz, I didn't see you warn me (us?) that the article you linked to was on a page
a) full of ads
b) which used at least 1 type of tracking mechanism
c) left behind files on my PC (numerous cookies, at least two of which were for tracking my browsing habits) even after I browsed away from the page.

That article, was every bit as evil as people seem to claim OC is.
-Eóin (March 09, 2011, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry you feel that way but it's trivial to either set your browser to not accept 3rd party cookies (which I think is the default setting in most browsers) or to clear your cookies (one click of a button)...or use an ad blocker...or use noscript. At least one of these can be easily handled by even less experienced users.

I don't recommend an inexperienced user to muck around in their registry trying to remove OC entries that serve as permanent tracking cookies, though.

40hz:

That my blog.

-app103 (March 09, 2011, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool. I liked it. (Even if some people think it's "evil.") ;D

Eóin:
Sorry you feel that way-app103 (March 09, 2011, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't actually feel that way, and I certainly don't think your blog is 'evil'. But I do consider the three points I made to still be valid, it's is hypocritical for anyone to diss OC's behavior, while defending those same actions when a website does them.

Renegade is perfectly correct here when he calls out peoples double standards when it comes to desktop applications versus mobile and web applications

Also, frankly, trying to claim cookies are ok because they are easier to remove, while a reg entry is evil because it's harder to remove is not logical. You're arbitrarily drawing a line and saying 'easier than this is ok while harder than this is evil' and, conveniently, you've chosen to carefully position that line such that it defends your argument.

40hz:
^In all fairness, deleting a cookie can't screw up your Windows installation or render your machine unbootable

Doing something in regedit certainly can if you don't know what you're doing or you're not careful.

That's a significant difference from a purely operational perspective - with no philosophical justification required.  ;D

Even Microsoft recommends, as a rule of thumb, that the registry not be manually edited if at all possible.

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version