ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (33/99) > >>

40hz:
you are responsible for your own safety in the end.  It's not hidden, it's clearly there.
-wraith808 (February 26, 2011, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree on your first point. But not on your second.

I am very careful to read everything, not opt-in to anything, and always opt-out when asked, whenever I do an install.

However, I've had to remove OpenCandy from my software evaluation and test machine twice this month.

This is the first time I've ever had to do that. For OpenCandy - or anything else.

I did not see anything that asked me (since it's now opt-out) if I wanted to not install OC.

I'm the only person who loads anything on this machine.

So...it think it's safe to say something has been changed.

app103:
Note: I am not condoning the practice.  I'm just saying that it's not hidden.  And clearly it's not, IMO.
-wraith808 (February 26, 2011, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

When you download an install an application, you expect to only get the application you intend to install.

Then along comes this other app you have to opt out of installing...and you go ahead and do that.

Then you find out that OpenCandy itself is leaving stuff on your hard drive and in your registry and they have assigned your computer a unique ID and they are building a profile on you. Where was the check box to opt out of that? That is what is hidden, and it happens no matter if you opt in or opt out of the additional software.

Josh:
Like App and deo pointed out, just because I click to opt-out one time, does not mean it is done the second time. What happens when the auto-update function updates my application and blindly installs whatever OC determines is "suited for me"? Is it my responsibility to ensure that, even thou I opted out, that future update installers do not put crapware on my system?

wraith808:
you are responsible for your own safety in the end.  It's not hidden, it's clearly there.
-wraith808 (February 26, 2011, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree on your first point. But not on your second.

I am very careful to read everything, not opt-in to anything, and always opt-out when asked, whenever I do an install.

However, I've had to remove OpenCandy from my software evaluation and test machine twice this month.

This is the first time I've ever had to do that. For OpenCandy - or anything else.

I did not see anything that asked me (since it's now opt-out) if I wanted to not install OC.

I'm the only person who loads anything on this machine.

So...it think it's safe to say something has been changed.
-40hz (February 26, 2011, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

As I was saying at the beginning, having an opt-out policy is not hiding it.  If it is truly hidden, then that's a different story.  But from the times I've seen OC, it's been pretty obvious.  In the case that it's hidden, then it falls into the category of malicious, IMO.

To re-state, so it's clear.  If it's an opt-out dialog during the installer (and even in subsequent updates) then it's not hidden. 

I think that during a lot of these discussions, things get blurred as posters add things into the definition by fiat after the fact.  The initial discussion was towards a non-hidden opt out process, similar to google, or bing, or itunes, where you might click past and never see it if you are not paying attention.  The other is a different subject than what I was commenting on.

40hz:
Apparently enough people have complained that Microsoft Security Essentials is flagging OC as well.

Note: this screenshot isn't from the affected machine I was speaking about earlier. I'm just putting this here to show OC has been classified as Adware by Microsoft.
--------

@Wraith808 - understand what you're saying. But again - to my point - I neither told anything to install OC, nor was I asked not to install it. And regardless of who is tacking OC onto whatever, it is obviously something OC is aware of and marketing.

So in the end, the buck has to stop right at OC's doorstep.

All the talking in circles, justifications, "yeah buts", similar things other people are allegedly doing, and "looking at things in perspective" isn't going to change that.

It's their product. It's their responsibility. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version