ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (30/99) > >>

cmpm:
Windows Defender and Nod32 is picking them up too.
I just delete them as they come up.

wraith808:
A shame.  He seemed committed to it not being adware at the time.  But I guess everyone was right to be cynical about the application.

Josh:
ok here is my bet, I am putting my 100$ if anyone wants to bet on it.
I am %100$ sure that in 2 years OC will become an application that will try to install hidden stuff and spy on your download-installation activity. If anyone wants to bet I am accepting bets. Since we do not want to gamble lets keep the amount not more than 100$.
-kartal (May 17, 2009, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
* scancode puts $25 against Kartal-scancode (September 30, 2009, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like scannie owes kartal 25 bucks.

kartal:
I am %100$ sure that in 2 years OC will become an application that will try to install hidden stuff and spy on your download-installation activity. If anyone wants to bet I am accepting bets. Since we do not want to gamble lets keep the amount not more than 100$.
--- End quote ---
* scancode puts $25 against Kartal
-scancode (September 30, 2009, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

-Josh (February 26, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey guys thanks for the follow ups , I did not know that I won. On the otherhand I am not surprised about my future predictions. I have been trying to talk about certain privacy and security implications of various services and apps on these forums, I am hoping to broaden people`s perspective on these very very important issues

I will happilly donate my new income to graceful open source projects and donation coder projects.

cheers

wraith808:
--- End quote ---
* scancode puts $25 against Kartal-scancode (September 30, 2009, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

-Josh (February 26, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's not an accurate assessment.  They do not try to install hidden stuff and spy on your download-installation activity.  What they do is not provide an opt-in model, which is quite disappointing.  But they are middle of the road rather than malignant in terms of installing hidden stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version