ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (56/99) > >>

wraith808:
The difference is that there is no opt out of OC when installing.
-cmpm (March 31, 2011, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Opt out of *what*?  OpenCandy is more akin to a service than an application.  It doesn't install anything that's not required to have a clean uninstall, nor does it do anything other than during installation if you don't opt-in.  If you go to a site on the internet and it displays a page before you can access the site that has an ad that you choose not to install and even choose not to allow to show by the use of adblockers, it can *still* get information akin to the stated OC information, i.e. that you came to the page, whether you click through to an ad, and whether you click through to the main site.  Is anyone asking pages that do this to disclose that they're keeping track of who lands on the page?  And this is not a hypothetical situation; I know of a few popular sites that I visit that do this exact same thing.

cmpm:
I said more then I planned to in that post...so maybe I didn't communicate well.

Opt out of *what*?
--- End quote ---

Exactly, you can't, OC is included.

No offense to OC or anyone using their service.
They used to have a logo on the installer 'Powered by OC'.

wraith808:
I said more then I planned to in that post...so maybe I didn't communicate well.

Opt out of *what*?
--- End quote ---

Exactly, you can't, OC is included.
-cmpm (March 31, 2011, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

But what do you mean?  Opt out of using the installer extensions?  So perhaps you opt out of using Installshield because you don't like them.  Or wise.  Or INNO or NSIS?  It's an extension that's not installed on your machine.  You can code your own extension that sends the *exact* same information.

So opt out of *what* is my question that still remains unanswered?

app103:
-wraith808 (March 31, 2011, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

3rd party tracking.

wraith808:
-wraith808 (March 31, 2011, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

3rd party tracking.
-app103 (March 31, 2011, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

*You* aren't being tracked though.  From what I've seen (and what Renegade has shown from his experiences) it's no more intrusive than a counter on a page.  I've even seen during the worst of their growing pains that severe detractors have said that the level of knowledge of what you've done seems to be absent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version