ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (46/99) > >>

Eóin:
If your browser rejects 3rd party tracking cookies by default and you change the setting to accept them, do you have anyone to blame but yourself when you end up with 3rd party tracking cookies?-app103 (March 09, 2011, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well I use both SRWare Iron and FireFox and both stored the cookies without me changing any default setting, so not sure what you mean there.

I can see why a software developer might be tempted to use OC. I have battled with the thought myself but ultimately I can't bring myself to do it because I don't trust OC at all.-app103 (March 09, 2011, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's fine, I respect that completely, I have similar reservations about other companies myself. I also fully respect your desire to know whose visiting your site, and to make revenue from it. I don't find the tracking or ads on your site in anyway, shape or form offensive. But I do think they are every bit as 'evil' as OC, I just don't consider that to be really evil at all.

Your own distrust of OC shouldn't mean you complain about their legitimate actions.

Renegade:
But I do think they are every bit as 'evil' as OC, I just don't consider that to be really evil at all.
-Eóin (March 10, 2011, 05:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

A long time ago, in an Internet domain far, far away, I was doing black hat SEO for clients before it was "black hat SEO". Then the game changed and I stopped. (I never did arbitrage or any of that slimy crap.)

I'm no stranger to what happens in the black hat world. I visit there on occasion to have a "look-see". It's interesting. It's like the zoo. Lots of fun to look at, but you don't want to be in the cage. :)

OpenCandy is nowhere near that place. (I've looked, and I can't see anything "evil". If anyone can correct me with evidence, then PLEASE DO!!!)

Sigh...

1 thought for people to consider:

I would install software on my computer that had OpenCandy supported offers in it without a second thought. I know what's happening under the hood enough to trust it.

That, I believe, is testament enough to my convictions.

cmpm:
For the record OC does not 'scare' me.

I am careful though. Or try to be.
The main problem is not telling me about it, if they don't.
There should be an uninstaller for OC as well, imho.

And I'd rather have more info on the offered program it suggests.
Since I've already checked out the main program I'm installing at the time.
Like a link to the offerings home page or a review.
Just a check box to some program I don't know about will not sell me on it.

Not trying to extend this discussion or to make war.
In fact, I thought I was the thread killer around here. :)

mahesh2k:
Okay. This thread is stretched a lot and we're moving away from test data. Why not just open another thread with OC tests on performance, Adware false positive signals( if any), revenue potential etc etc. ?

Renegade:
Checking from a reboot, the folder:

C:\Users\Renegade\AppData\Local

Is still there, but the DLL is deleted.

So, there is a trace of a folder, but no executable files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version