ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ZipCar.com - super cool car sharing service in the US for occasional drivers

<< < (2/2)

brewmonkey:
I use zipcar all the time.  Living in NYC, they are the most convenient car rental option.

Pros:
1. Convenient - there is garage just a couple blocks from work and from home.
2. Costs less than owning a car.
3. Gas is included in the rental price.

Cons:
1. Cars are always dirty.  If I'm going to keep it for the full day, I'll do a cursory cleaning with a hand vac.
2. Gas is always on empty, even though people are supposed to return the cars with at least a quarter tank.
3. Two out of the last three cars had a service light on.
4. If you're going to need a car for more than an hour on the weekend, you'll need to reserve it weeks in advance.

If it we're so convenient, I wouldn't use it.

mouser:
they should give some kind of reward when you fill up a tank that is below the 1/4 level.. i think that would help solve the problem of no one wanting to be the one to fill up the gas.

steeladept:
We have ZipCar in Pittsburgh, but I don't use it - I live too far away.  It is odd, here at least, because Pittsburgh City limits are so small you can walk it in under an hour in any direction from one side to the other.  AFAIK, ZipCar is only within the city limits, so it becomes somewhat bewildering to me how it can function profitably in this city.

As for the reward, what if filling it up automatically gave you 1 hour drive time?  Of course there would need to be a way to determine it actually NEEDED a fill first, otherwise people would try to keep it under an hour and fill it up to use it essentially for free.

mouser:
Of course there would need to be a way to determine it actually NEEDED a fill first, otherwise people would try to keep it under an hour and fill it up to use it essentially for free.
--- End quote ---
shouild be pretty easy for them to do, they make you enter the mileage of the car when you use their gas car, and they get the bill. (they already have to check the gas usage pretty strictly since otherwise people would abuse the gas card by filling up their own cars with it).

cranioscopical:
For those who can't zip when they fly around there are always butt-on bikes available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version